Developer - Database
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Jan 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a global financial services firm offering a complete range of sophisticated financial products to a large and diversified group of clients and customers, including sovereign governments, corporations, institutions and individuals throughout the world. Morgan Stanley maintains a leading market position in Institutional Securities Sales and Trading. Closely aligned with the Institutional Equity Division (IED), the Trade Enrichment Data Reporting and Allocation (TEDRA) Super Department develops and supports infrastructure and application layers to process cash and listed derivative trades after execution and prior to settlement. The team is global and works in close collaboration at all levels with its clients in IED.
Within TEDRA, the Internal Trade Activity Reporting Applications Practice Area (ITARA) develops and supports systems and infrastructure for trade data-related report generation and distribution, high performance business intelligence platforms, data extraction, and data marts for internal users.
Within ITARA, the Equity Reporting team is charged with providing innovative reporting solutions for our users. This includes building data marts, Business Intelligence solutions and standalone reports that have the requisite functionality and performance to meet their needs. Our clients cover a broad range including Sales and Trading Desks, Risk, Finance, Operations, External Counterparties and Technology. The individual will be expected to liaise frequently with people from all of these areas.
This is a diverse role which provides great personal and professional development opportunities. This opening will suit a confident, proactive and enthusiastic individual with an appetite for client interaction, responsibility and hands-on technology exposure. This role will give the successful individual a high-profile role in a dynamic, global team.
The position's main responsibilities involve:
- Liaising with our clients to understand their data needs
- Responding to urgent Regulatory related data inquiries.
- Report development (SQL, Business Objects, Qlikview, PERL)
- Database query performance tuning (DB2, Sybase)
- Analysis on reporting tasks to identify the most appropriate data sources/extraction techniques
- Working with an offshore team of developers, helping with task prioritization and escalation.
- Coordinating urgent/timely data extract tasks, facilitating a ?follow-the-sun? model.
- SQL development experience (Sybase, DB2, Greenplum)
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, SQL, and SQL tuning
- Strong UNIX/PERL scripting skills
- Self-starter with strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
- Team player able to learn quickly and work collaboratively across global teams
- Highly motivated to expand their technical and business knowledge and understanding
- Fluent understanding of the complete software development lifecycle
- Experience in the financial services industry
- Proficient in PERL (Can substitute proficiency in Java or C# if interested in learning PERL).
- Knowledge of Business Objects
- Informatica or some comparable ETL tool