Senior Reliability Engineer, Data Centers
As a Reliability Engineer you will be proactively driving the quality and reliability risk identification, assessment and mitigation for datacenter infrastructure equipment. You will also be responsible for root cause analysis of critical equipment failures and drive the continuous improvements to improve datacenter availability for AWS customers. You will work closely with both internal and outside partners including suppliers to drive key aspects of product specification, risk identification plan and execution. You must be ownership minded, independent, action and results oriented to succeed in an open collaborative environment.
The candidate should have experience in using Physics-of-Failure based approach to develop and implement both analytical and empirical approaches for product quality/reliability risk identification and assessment during product design, manufacture as well as deployment stages. The individual should be able to drive AWS application-specific requirements in carrying out both lifecycle environmental and operational stress driven risk analysis, including thermal, electrical, chemical and mechanical stresses so to identify overstress and fatigue-related product weaknesses. Candidate should be capable of evaluating not only product design quality/reliability risks, but also have the skills and experiences in assessing electronics manufacture process related quality/reliability issues. Knowledge of statistical techniques and models is required to analyze test as well as field data.
At the component level, the individual will drive critical component identification and the associated vendor selection and qualification requirements. The candidate will be expected to use knowledge of process capability for electronic component production as well as system-level performance requirements to establish critical to quality and reliability metrics.
At the system level, the individual will develop datacenter system level reliability model and related reliability quantification and risk analysis for datacenter configuration optimization. The candidate will be expected to be familiar with system reliability engineering tools, such as reliability block diagram, Markov model, statistical modeling and data analytics.
During sustaining stage, candidate will be responsible for monitoring product performance in the field and will be responsible to drive root cause analysis of any critical failures and the associated corrective and preventive actions. The individual should also be able to drive effective vendor auditing and quarterly review process to drive the continuous improvements of datacenter availability.
The successful candidate should be considered as an expert in the reliability engineering field and have a proven track record of success in not only product reliability leadership, as well as business negotiations and program management. Strong skill-set in problem analysis and solving as well as communication and vendor management are necessary. Candidates must also be able to travel internationally.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Vet Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Reliability Engineering, Physics, Electrical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering or related field
• 5+ years of Reliability Engineering work experience with high reliability industry
• Demonstrated ability to drive proactive and effective reliability approaches in a cost-effective manner throughout product design, manufacture and deployment stages
• Familiarity with major data center infrastructure equipment
• Experience with failure analysis activities and root cause analysis
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills Preferred Qualifications
• Doctoral degree in Reliability Engineering, Physics, Electrical, Mechanical or Materials Engineering or a related field.
• 5+ years work experience in reliability risk identification and assessment from component to system level applying analytical, experimental and statistical approaches to evaluate product design and manufacture quality/reliability levels
• Proven experience in working with external design and manufacturing supply chain partners.