Solutions Architect - EC2 Spot
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 May 19
Solutions Architect - EC2 Spot
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the pioneer and recognized leader in Cloud Computing. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure in-the-cloud that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. These customers range from start-ups to leading web companies to Global 500 companies in financial services, pharmaceuticals, and technology. As a part of AWS, Amazon EC2 enables customers of all sizes to run their applications on our industry leading cloud infrastructure. EC2 redefines the economics and physics of computing, reducing the time to build a datacenter to minutes. Customers use EC2 to rapidly scale capacity up and down as their computing requirements change.
Amazon EC2 offers different pricing models to customers to help optimize their EC2 spend as their applications scale up and down. One of the pricing models, Amazon EC2 Spot Instances, allows users to take advantage of EC2's spare capacity at discounts of up to 90% of the On Demand model with the caveat that AWS may reclaim Spot Instances when needed by customers who are willing to pay the On Demand price.
Amazon Web Services is (AWS) looking for experienced and motivated technologists who possess a unique balance of technical depth and excellent interpersonal skills. This role is a Specialist Solutions Architect in the Compute field, with a strong focus on EC2 Spot. You will partner with several AWS teams to craft highly scalable, flexible and resilient cloud architectures for customers in the EC2 Spot compute space. As a trusted customer advocate, you will help customers understand best practices around advanced EC2 Spot solutions, and how to run EC2 Spot in a scalable yet cost-effective manner on AWS. You will have the opportunity to help shape and execute a strategy to build mindshare and broad use of AWS across strategic global accounts. The successful candidate will possess experience running scalable compute workloads in the cloud, and be able to translate cloud computing concepts into business value for these accounts.
Have a solid understanding of cloud technology and trends. The ideal candidate will have experience in a customer-facing hands-on technical role. You should have experience deploying and maintaining cloud compute solutions. You will enjoy keeping your existing technical skills honed and developing new ones so that you can make substantial contributions to in-depth architecture discussions. You will regularly take part in deep-dive education and design exercises to create extraordinary EC2 Spot solutions built on AWS.
Roles and Responsibilities
• As a key member of the business development and sales team, ensure success in building and migrating applications, software and services on the AWS platform
• Educate EC2 Spot customers in our Strategic Accounts on the value proposition of AWS, and participate in in-depth architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment in the cloud
• Conduct one-to-few and one-to-many training sessions to transfer knowledge to EC2 Spot customers considering or already using AWS
• Bring together and share best-practice knowledge among the AWS solutions architect community, especially in regards to EC2 Spot solutions and patterns
• Author or otherwise contribute to AWS customer-facing publications such as blog posts and whitepapers
• Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within customers to enable them to be cloud advocates
• Act as a technical liaison between customers, service engineering teams and support
• 3+ years design/implementation/deployment experience of cloud compute solutions
• 3+ years experience in one or more of the following areas:
• Container architecture, design or development
• Continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
• Scalable batch processing solutions
• Working knowledge of software development methodologies
• Distributed frameworks such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, HBase, Presto, and Flink
• 4+ years design/implementation/deployment experience of EC2 Spot compute solutions
• Familiarity with academic and non-profit uses of the cloud
• Excellent verbal skills and the ability to explain technical concepts to a variety of audiences
• Strong written communication skills
• High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
• Technical degree preferred; Computer Science or Math background highly desired