Data Services Technology Owner
What is the opportunity?
The team's data strategy centers rely on our ability to provide technology-focused data services. These data services can be organized into pillars (Ingestion, Quality, Lineage, Consumption) supported by horizontal enablers (Cataloguing, Access, Archiving & Storage, Platform Stability, Regulatory Control Effectiveness, Upstream Change Management, and QE). Reporting to the Head, Data Strategy & Transformation, this role is for an individual to lead at least one of these services. This will involve investigating, designing and implementing solutions on the data platform (i.e. Hadoop Data Lake) using RBC's enterprise suite of tools (where appropriate) and other tooling (as needed) to provide high quality data services to our business partners. What will you do:
The role can be broken down into 3 components:
What do you need to succeed Must Have
- Ensure the service runs as expected on a day-to-day basis. This includes all HR people management and team management responsibilities to ensure a high performing team.
- Provide formal and informal leadership and mentoring for all roles - BAs, Developers, and Scrum Masters.
- Plan for both the short-term and medium-term, and engage in the necessary team and stakeholder management activities to obtain support for that vision.
- Make managerial-level decisions pertaining to priorities, funding, resourcing, and tooling to encourage re-use, prevent re-work, to support the short-term and medium-term objectives.
- Expand and scale the service so it can be leveraged by additional technology partners in support of additional businesses.
- Keep up with emerging thinking about the data service so RBC has a perspective as to where the data service is heading in the next 3-5 years.
- Liaise with enterprise-wide stakeholders to influence enterprise-level discussions
- Advise senior management on these topics so informed planning and funding decisions can be made.
- 5+ years of relevant technical experience, which may include: application development, data architecture, data modeling, database design and management, programming and scripting languages (e.g. Python, R, Java and SQL). data visualization, and key principles of data management, including familiarity with data extract, transform, and load processes
- 5+ years of experience high-performing managing teams, including: an ability to set goals, and motivate employees, and preferably with a creative mindset in how problems are understood, analyzed, and solved, and an entrepreneurial ambition in how progress is assessed and achieved.
- Experience with big data technologies - Hadoop (Pig, Hive, Spark, etc), noSQL/SQL databases, and parallel processing techniques, data strategies
- Product / service management, including understanding customer needs, communicating for impact, managing up, understanding customer needs, and how to grow a business
What's in it for you?
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, time management and organizational skills, and able to multi-task, prioritize, and execute.
- Familiarity with various functions serviced by Corporate Systems (especially GRM), would be an asset.
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
The opportunity to work on projects that have genuine, measurable impact: automating manual processes, re-engineering workflows and making financial analysis and reporting faster and more reliable.
http://www.rbc.com/techjobs/?utm_campaign=jobpostingupdate_tech Learn more about RBC Tech Jobs Join our Talent Community
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, and stock where applicable.
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- A world-class training program in financial services.
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at http://www.rbc.com/careers/index.html rbc.com/careers. JOB SUMMARY City:
155 Wellington St West, 9th floor Work Hours/Week:
37.5 Work Environment:
Office Employment Type:
Permanent Career Level:
Senior Manager/Director Pay Type:
Salary + Variable Bonus Required Travel(%):
N/A People Manager:
Yes Application Deadline:
Technology and Operations Req ID:
200892 Ad Code(s):