Manager, Fund Taxation
RBC Global Asset Management (RBC GAM) is the asset management division of Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and includes institutional money managers BlueBay Asset Management and Phillips, Hager & North Investment Management. RBC GAM is a provider of global investment management services and solutions to institutional, high-net-worth and individual investors through separate accounts, pooled funds, mutual funds, hedge funds, exchange-traded funds and specialty investment strategies.
The Manager, Fund Taxation is responsible for tax compliance on all Canadian fund products such as owning the operational tax process for blended HST rates, assisting with fund distributions and filing tax returns, and ensuring FATCA and CRS Tax Account documentation compliance. What will you do?
• Develop an understanding of mutual fund taxation and the investment fund industry.
• Apply tax ID and FATCA GIIN for new funds.
• Register fund under group GST/HST number for HST purpose and provide HST estimates to fund valuation team.
• Keep track of blended HST rates for funds and perform reconciliations.
• Gather necessary data from a variety of sources and maintain a list of RBC GAM funds.
• Assist in documenting tax procedures for the funds, including HST and FATCA implementation and ensure operational and administrative tax
effectiveness for RBC Global Asset Management
• Work with accounting firm to prepare trust tax returns for mutual funds.
• Review and analyze treaty withholding tax rates and work with custodians to ensure withholding taxes are refunded.
• Work with Senior Managers on primary responsibilities and provide support to Vice-President, Taxation on projects as required. What do you need to succeed?
• Minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience, preferably in the fund industry and/or tax compliance environment.
• Strong PC literacy with Excel and experience in managing multiple and large sets of data
• Strong problem solving ability and analysis skills that involve interpretation of data and implications.
• Very well organized and attention to details, along with proven organizational and time management skill
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proactive, take initiatives, hard-working and get things done. Nice to Have:
• CPA in depth tax course; either in progress or completed
• Advance Proficiency with Excel (i.e. programming that involves Visual Basic macros for EXCEL).
• Experience in wealth and asset management industry
• Good knowledge of securities and taxation legislation as they relate to Mutual Funds.
• Strong interest in learning and adopting new technology and new tools such as Tableau, Eagles, RPA, etc.