Senior Developer - Toronto, ON
Requisition ID: 47294
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Join Scotiabank's Information Technology & Solutions group as we work to redefine the future of banking and create a better customer experience. We are looking for individuals with passion for innovation and revolutionary ideas to contribute to our journey of transforming the Bank.
You are a proactive and dynamic individual who demonstrates initiative and a continual eagerness to learn. We are looking to fill our team with creators and leaders who are flexible, curious, adventurous, versatile and responsive; and who are ready to roll up their sleeves in a collaborative and productive environment to get things done.
As a Senior Developer, you will be responsible for providing specialized technical leadership in analysis, design, development, implementation and support for systems and applications. You will also play a key role in current and future implementation projects, introducing new technologies to meet business objectives and providing technical consultation and guidance to development projects.
- Develop cost effective and efficient applications to meet business objectives by analyzing user requirements, providing technical specifications and designs, developing detailed work-plans, scheduling technical resources, monitoring progress against plan and developing/maintaining programs according to standards. You will also ensure software, programs and applications developed and/or configured to meet high availability, integrity and reliability requirements.
- Play a leadership and coaching role in providing technical expertise, guidance, advice and knowledge transfer to development staff on aspects of application development for assigned applications or technology.
- Perform reviews and walkthroughs of all major project deliverables to ensure the quality and completeness of functionality, including production and user acceptance testing support.
- Collaboratively problem-solve complex technical problems, implementing solutions and developing new procedures surrounding support.
- Implement new systems or enhancements including the review of programs written by team members, establishing and executing system test procedures, developing implementation plans, developing the required program and system documentation and ensuring all functionality has been delivered as required.
- Maintain a good understanding of the Division's business strategies, business policies, financial instruments, risk management and backoffice processing to provide effective technical consulting and support.
- Ensure the department's objectives are met by assisting in recruiting qualified staff, providing input to performance appraisals and maintaining up to date knowledge of technology, industry and business practices
- Knowledge of most aspects of Information Technology and industry best practices as well as a detailed understanding of systems architecture, business systems analysis and application development
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and trouble-shooting skills in order to quickly and effectively resolve problems in a demanding environment
- Self-initiated, fast learner with a positive attitude and desire to acquire new knowledge, excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deliver proposals and provide consultation to development staff
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and departments, including offshore development vendors would be an asset
Eduaction and Work Experience
- Post graduate degree in a computer science, math or engineering related discipline
- 5-7 years of practical experience in developing and deploying complex technology is essential
- Prior experience in analysing, designing, developing, implementing or supporting applications and business systems
- Experience following the iterative and agile SDLC and working in a DevOps/Agile environment
- Multiple computing platforms, such as UNIX, Windows, Linux, Tandem/Non-stop, AS400, Mainframe
- Programming languages ( Java, XML, C/C++, C#, SQL, UNIX shell scripts) and methodologies
- Database technologies (Oracle, Sybase, DB2)
- Networking, communications, on-line transaction processing (OLTP) technology
- Object oriented programming (Java, C++, C#)
- Message-based technology (MQ, CORBA, Java Message Service)
- Development techniques, such as debugging, testing, coding, use of productivity tools (e.g. JIRA)
- Hardware and operating system configuration, application performance and tuning
- Hands on experience with cloud environments is desirable
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible. Job Segment:
Developer, Mainframe, Mid-Range, Oracle, Database, Technology