Sr. Middleware Engineer
What is the opportunity?
You will join TI's Innovation and Engineering team as a Sr. Middleware Engineer with a mission to create a world class container ecosystem to host all of RBC's next generation cloud native application portfolio which includes stateless & stateful crown jewel applications, AI, ML, Big Data and Data Science applications.
At any given time, the Innovation & Engineering team will be working on multiple technologies across the spectrum of Compute, Storage, Network, Security, Devops, Cloud, Containers etc., and in this role you will have the opportunity to work on multiple cutting edge products, understand them and then work with other TI & T&O teams who will implement the technologies in production. You will also have the opportunity to work with a variety of start-ups/VC's and interface with founders, CTO's, head of product management, R&D, Engineering etc., at some very innovative companies, and evaluate their products for applicability at RBC. You will also get the opportunity to partner with other innovation labs (internal or external) to prove out new technologies.
The Innovation & Engineering team is responsible for setting technical strategy, Research and Development, Engineering and creating a vision and roadmap for TI. We identify emerging and disruptive technology trends in Opensource, Academia and the industry and access, recommend and implement them if it can provide a technological edge to the RBC business.
The ideal candidate will have a sharp business mind, understand user needs and align them with the products that are being created. Ultimately, you are motivated by the desire to optimize productivity and nurture program success from inception to completion. What will you do? Innovation
- Own and validate blueprints and design artifacts which correlate to Middleware and the Kubernetes/Openshift Ecosystem, Partner with Architecture and validate solution architecture, Define solution design and services
- Directs and validates design artifacts, contributes to enterprise strategy via validation and research exercises
Planning and Assessment
- Design, build, and transition activities; own platform or service definition, Validate design artifacts, own portions of enterprise strategy via validation and research exercises
- Deliver releases, self-organize and self-motivate to achieve directed outcomes, Own platform specification and design
- Deliver specifications for solutions and services artifacts, Guide major enhancements of offerings by working closely with Application and Operations teams
What do you need to succeed? Must have:
- Prioritize, drive, and validate strategies and roadmaps for Middleware Engineering services, platforms, and technologies; produce presentation material suitable for Senior Director or VP level consumption
- Author solutions and services artifacts and initiate ideation, strategy, and future design.
- Own and drive outcomes from ideation process, Learn and adopt new technologies; research, survey, and present industry trends to the team.
Must have 2+ years of experience in the following:
- At least 5 years of experience engineering or designing middleware technologies such as JBOSS, WebSphere (Traditional/Liberty), MQ, Tomcat, HTTP Server, WebLogic, Mulesoft, IBM Cognos, Microsoft IIS
- Hands on experience working with Kubernetes
- Experience producing multi-tier, high-availability infrastructure architectures in a cloud environment
- Experience in supporting distributed infrastructure involving network, load balancers, Middleware, storage, databases, etc. with the ability to drill down issues quickly
- Experience working with Services, APIs and Microservices, deploying, sustaining and troubleshooting issues across enterprise frameworks
- Experience configuring and managing Messaging system queue in a large scale enterprise infrastructure
- Evaluate new technologies; align with TI's overall direction & strategies in adopting and building standards for future technology stack for Middleware operations.
- Engineer solutions to migrate applications from monolithic to microservices (Kubernetes/Docker) and lightweight products for scalability and performance.
- Ensure systems are designed for high availability and necessary systems backup and recovery processes are in place.
- Architecture and Design monitoring solutions for applications (e.g. Prometheus etc)
- Perform installation, configuration, deployment, troubleshooting and tuning of middleware products.
- Explore, evaluate and provide automation solutions
- Provide implementation and support for DevOps/Continuous Integration and Delivery pipeline (CI/CD) for application and software update.
- Excellent scripting skills in Shell, Perl, Python, etc.
- Intermediate level of knowledge on Windows/UNIX/Linux OS
What's in it for you?
- Microservices (Docker), Container Orchestrator (Kubernetes), Continuous Integration Tools (Jenkins, UCD), Configuration Management platforms (Ansible, Puppet)
- Experience with application deployment and environment configuration on Linux/AIX based systems, Ability to architect and implement end-to-end container management, Very good understanding of Networking concepts
- We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- Network and build lasting relationships with students from diverse backgrounds from across Canada and US.
- Participate in fun events and gamification challenges to help build your career tool kit while enjoying a work-life balance
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and learning opportunities
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive and highly performing team
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Enjoy a comfortable work environment with the option to dress casually