Staff Software Engineer - Platform Organization
Requisition ID: 70393
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
As Scotiabank's engine of modernization, the PLATO platform enables technology teams to build software quickly and securely using modern practices. PLATO is an integrated set of technical capabilities, services and processes that encapsulate critical enterprise functions through standardization, re-use and automation.
The PLATO team is comprised of engineers, problem solvers, agilists and creatives in roles such as Enterprise Platform Engineering and Architecture, Enterprise Data Services, Cloud Infrastructure and Architecture, Product Engineering, and Product Management. Together, the team provides the platform that enables the Bank to deliver transformative experiences that help our 24 million customers become better off.
Interested in joining an agile team that's impacting change for our customers around the world? Watch our video Purpose
Drive the digital transformation and advance the velocity of innovation globally across Scotiabank in the Platform Organization. The Platform Organization of Scotiabank is at the forefront of technology and innovation within the bank. Tasked with enabling the use of bank-safe modern infrastructure, tools, and methodologies, the Platform Organization is the engine of modernization for the bank. To deliver on this vision, the group maintains the culture of a modern technology company and cultivates a high degree of engineering discipline.
Reporting to the Head of DevOps Engineering, the successful candidate will lead a team of skilled engineers to deliver innovative solutions for the provisioning of bank-safe cloud resources. Reducing the divide between development and operations is paramount to the success of new initiatives, providing teams the capability to iterate frequently and deliver at velocity.
Contributes to the overall success of the DevOps Engineering department ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team's business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and partners within Scotiabank to build alignment at all levels
- Manage and support the personal development of a team of 3 - 8 skilled engineers
- Develop strategic vision and manage roadmap and forecasting
- Support the team in organizing around the work to deliver customer value
- Motivate the team to maintain a customer focus and a drive for delivering quality products
- Promote DevOps and Agile mindsets throughout the bank
- Follows Bank and DevOps Engineering change control procedures.
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct
Reporting Relationships (Job Titles only) Primary Manager: (include secondary Manager if applicable)
- Supports application teams across Scotiabank, including all business lines and digital factory, across the globe - primarily in Canada, Mexico, Peru, Colombia, and Chile
- Assist the Director in finding most cost effective solutions in order to stay within operating and project budgets
- Supports a high number of application teams
Education / Experience / Other Information (include only those that are specific to the role)
- A track record of delivering valuable, high quality products
- Experience leading teams working in agile methodologies and following DevOps practices
- Experience balancing the priorities of multiple stakeholders while providing incremental value
- Experience managing and organizing a product backlog
- Experience developing software in modern languages and frameworks
- A deep understanding of software engineering practices and methodologies
- Experience delivering software products in high-compliance environments
- An understanding of modern public cloud product offerings
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or technical equivalent
- Work in an open office-based environment; non-standard hours are a common occurrence. Moderate travel locally, limited travel globally.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here . Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Job Segment:
Developer, Bank, Banking, Engineer, Risk Management, Technology, Finance, Engineering