Legal Counsel, Associate
- Not Specified
- Hong Kong Hong Kong Hong Kong HK
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 Aug 18 2018-08-18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.317 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.317 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
- Advise on the legal and regulatory aspects of different parts of the business including fund product launches/restructuring (including mutual funds and exchange traded funds), marketing advice, other regulatory advice.
- Draft legal documentation and handle regulatory process for fund creation/registration/amendment locally and in other APAC jurisdictions.
- Liaise with regulators, stock exchange and industry groups to lobby for BlackRock’s initiatives and respond to consultation papers
- Review, draft and assist in negotiation of agreements in support of BlackRock’s business operations (e.g. constitutive fund documentation, investment management agreements, distribution agreements, trademark and other intellectual property licenses and brokerage service agreements, amalgamation/M&A documents etc.)
- Provide advice, support and coordinate with other control functions including compliance and internal audit.
- Provide legal advice and support to the governance and control framework with robust processes and procedures in place to meet all regulatory and statutory obligations
- Support and advise the Boards of Directors of the investment companies or management companies as appropriate.
- Work closely with compliance staff to ensure that the business understands and acts in accordance with best practices for compliance with laws and regulations.
- Working closely with offshore Legal and Compliance colleagues to ensure consistency of advice and practices.
- Effective engagement and management of external counsel, including cost management.
- A Hong Kong qualified lawyer that has at least 3 to 5 years PQE
- Candidates from funds departments of law firms or legal department of asset management companies or senior managers from the investment product division of the SFC will be preferred.
- Successful candidate should have a prior experience and knowledge on advising on exchange traded funds and SFC authorised unit trust. Knowledge on other fund domiciles is also preferable (e.g. UCITS SICAV, Cayman Unit Trusts etc.)
- Successful candidate should have solid experience advising on various aspects relating to the Code on Unit Trusts and Mutual Funds as well as other regulatory aspects generally relating to the SFC Handbook and other codes and guidelines. Experience advising on MPF related and PRC regulatory issues will each be a plus
- Experience co-ordinating with the SFC is essential and experience dealing with the MPFA and HKEX would be preferable
- Experience in trading/ investment and derivatives documentation preferable.
- Excellent English and Chinese communication skills with the ability to build relationships across the business, operations and suppliers at all levels of management up to and including Board of Director level
- Proactive approach to lead, own and direct change
- Strong project management skills
Key personal attributes will also include a high level of intellectual agility and creativity, ability to work independently as well as part of a team and the ability to manage business expectations.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.