Software Engineer - Application Frameworks - Hong Kong
The Bloomberg Professional Service is a premium product for the most demanding customers. The component customers interact with is a purpose-built, real-time browser supporting up-to-the-second market updates, complex data processing and responsive UI across large areas of screen real-estate. It's vital that our product works reliably, responsively, and with capacity for handling periods of market volatility that produce surges in activity. At the same time Bloomberg's Product Teams, in partnership with Bloomberg's Application Developers, are constantly developing and evolving our products and the platforms that host them on our customer' Windows desktops.
Our Application Performance Profiling and Analysis team are developing tools, instrumentation, and best practices to support our Application Developers and support teams. These tools will help in reducing risk when deploying new software, detecting and flagging potential performance issues on client desktops, and simplifying the analysis of client-side issues when they arise.
At Bloomberg, we believe that expertise in any one programming language or technology on its own is not a recipe for success. We want people that can learn quickly, think critically, and collaborate effectively with others to find (or even create) the appropriate technology and/or tools for the challenge at hand. This team employs C++ and Typescript in the majority of its systems and like any technology we use, you will be expected to become proficient in them over time through on-the-job experience, learning from others, and sponsored training and workshops. We'll trust you to:
Who we are looking for:
- Identify metrics and environmental parameters essential for evaluating performance and recognizing potential issues
- Enable enhanced profiling capabilities across our desktop products by creating libraries and tools for instrumenting client-side subsystems
- Develop performance analysis and diagnostic tools for our developers and support organizations
- Liaise with development and support teams in best practices for performance optimization and performance diagnostics
- Leverage metric data to automate the assessment of performance over time.
- Help detect and address software performance issues before they impact our customers
- Provide strategic input for future infrastructure development
We'd love to see:
- Skilled developers with a passion for optimizing the behavior and performance of real-time desktop software.
- Previous experience in performance analysis and optimization, especially on Windows
- Experience with open source software platforms such as Chromium, Firefox, Node, and Electron
- Experience with networking, IPC and multi-threaded programming on Windows or Linux
- Experience with programming language compilers or interpreters
- Experience developing operating systems, kernels, or drivers
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on.
The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know. Other Resources:
Join our Hong Kong C++ Meetups group -> https://www.meetup.com/Hong-Kong-C-Interest-Group/
Check out Bloomberg Engineering -> www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we're solving -> TechAtBloomberg.com
Olivia Meets Chelsea Ohh, Software Engineer Team Lead at Bloomberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmatgY7wGBE&feature=youtu.be Why Bloomberg:
Bloomberg is a financial technology company. Our technology drives the world's leading financial market participants. Our strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 310,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg has one of the largest private networks in the world, and we process billions and billions of data from all over the globe.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.