Group Legal, Compliance & Secretariat ensures that the bank's interests are protected by zealously guarding and enhancing its reputation and capital. We also work to maintain a good standing with all our regulators, customers, and business partners. Because we believe that at the heart of business banking is to uphold the values of trust and integrity for all our stakeholders. Job Purpose
To provide legal support to the T&M Department / Business Unit ("T&M"), primarily in the Asia region (including Singapore, Greater China, Taiwan, Korea, India, Indonesia and Australia) in respect of T&M trading agreements/master documentation. Key Accountabilities
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- To review and negotiate T&M legal documents (in particular, master trading agreements, e.g. ISDA/CSA, GMRA, GMSLA, master give-up agreements, and related e-trading, central clearing and vendor agreements) and to identify, advise on and manage legal risks associated with the operation of T&M.
- To prepare and update standard form documentation for use by T&M together with related guidance notes and other advisory materials for new and existing master trading agreements.
- To work closely with Compliance and T&M to ensure the relevant legal and regulatory requirements are well understood by T&M and are reflected and protected in the relevant documentation and internal procedures.
- To partner with relevant stakeholders (including T&M Sales or Trading, Credit, Operations/Collateral Management, and Relationship Managers outside T&M) to ensure relevant documentation standards and policies are complied with, and to obtain relevant internal approvals.
- To provide general legal advice, guidance and solutions on legal and regulatory issues and developments to T&M.
- Provide responsive, sound, coherent & consistent legal advice on legal, regulatory and contractual / documentation issues to internal clients (i.e. front, middle and back offices of T&M).
- Establish, review and update internal rules, policies, procedures, guidelines and templates to meet best practice regulatory and industry standards for the management of legal and documentary risks.
- Work with the Compliance team to ensure effective interpretation and recommendations on regulations and policies affecting the T&M business and T&M legal documentation.
- Recommend, supervise and manage external lawyers, where needed, to ensure that high quality and focused advice is received at reasonable cost in a timely manner to appropriately protect bank's interests.
Education / Preferred Qualifications
- At least 4 years of post-qualified relevant experience with a financial institution or private practice.
- Qualified lawyer of UK or Singapore.
- Core/Technical Competencies *
- Good written and oral communication skills (in both English and Chinese), analytical and solution-oriented.
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements of Singapore (minimum) and regional banking and financial services environment.
- Strong technical knowledge and practical experience in negotiation and advising on T&M documents (in particular ISDA/CSA, GMRA, GMSLA) and products.
- Self-motivated, independent and able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Good interpersonal skills, commercial acumen and a team-player. Work Relationship
Positive working relationships with (a) Head of Legal & Compliance - T&M and colleagues in Legal & Compliance - T&M; (b) colleagues from T&M; (c) in-house legal teams; and (d) external lawyers are essential.