- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Jan 18
Associate Managing Director, APAC Sovereign Ratings
Location: SingaporeThe Role
Reporting to the Managing Director for Sovereign Ratings (APAC, MENA & SSA), the jobholder will be responsible for the quality of sovereign and multilateral development banks ratings, and related research and outreach activities, across the Asia Pacific region and parts of Central Asia.
This is an important, highly visible market facing role, carrying first line responsibility for the quality of Moody's benchmark ratings in key developed and emerging markets. As well as dealing regularly with senior management within MIS, the jobholder will regularly interact with a wide range of external organizations, and will need the gravitas, credibility, and communication skills to act as an ambassador for the firm. She or he will also be expected to participate in conferences and play a pivotal role in raising the profile of the team and developing Moody's franchise in the capital markets. The role will be located in Singapore.
The jobholder will be responsible for managing a team of six Lead Analysts responsible for assigning ratings and conducting research and outreach on close to 50 sovereign and supranational issuers. The team's key objective is to maintain high levels of rating accuracy at a pivotal point in global sovereign credit, through timely and insightful credit analysis, and to produce insightful research and undertake proactive outreach. The jobholder will be responsible for the team's achievement of these objectives.
- Maintain the accuracy of regional Sovereign ratings, through the provision of high quality credit analysis and the implementation of credit rating actions that anticipate, not react.
- Build, lead and develop the regional sovereign rating teams. Right people, right place, right time.
- Promote thought leadership to enhance analytics and research. Working with regional MD, set challenging but achievable targets for the APAC sovereign team, and enhance quality of its research.
- Drawing as needed on team resources, build and maintain strong working relationships with issuers
- Develop Moody's franchise through external initiatives (e.g. conference participation, outreach activities)
- Achieve operational excellence. Zero tolerance for operational errors, given profile and importance of sovereign rating actions. Proactively drive process improvements.
The APAC Sovereign Ratings Team is part of the Global Sovereign Ratings Group, which is responsible for assigning ratings to sovereigns and related entities around the world, as well as to supranational organizations.
- Substantial credit/risk assessment experience. A pure economic background is not essential, but the jobholder will need to understand economic and finance principles and to be able to converse with, and challenge, analysts on them. The ability quickly to gain a good understanding of the financial and economic environment across the region will also be important. Most important is strong intellect and intellectual curiosity, a high tolerance for complexity and the ability to come up with new ideas and perspectives.
- Strong management skills. The jobholder will need to gain the respect of a team of capable self-starting analysts through intellectual leadership, force of personality and the ability to build relationships with diverse personalities. An effective leader able to set out a clear strategy, and to manage and mentor staff, understand their needs, and address weaknesses. The successful candidate will need to attract and develop talent, set clear goals and expectations for the team and act decisively where performance gaps exist.
- Excellent communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and succinctly, articulate complex analytic and strategic issues and influence audiences of different skill and knowledge levels. Able to build strong professional relationships at all levels inside and outside the firm, and represent the Moody's brand effectively. Excellent written skills are a must, particularly in producing high calibre research, and extensive public speaking experience is a plus.
- Highly organised and efficient, with ability to multi-task and able to meet tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel across APAC and Central Asia
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $3.6 billion in 2016, employs approximately 10,700 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 36 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
MIS and MSS Candidates are asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.