The Commercial Lawyer (the "Candidate") will be an integral member of the ASEAN Legal team. The Candidate will report to the Legal Lead for ASEAN and will have a particular focus on ICT contracting with private sector and government clients in Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. The Candidate will be responsible for reviewing, drafting and negotiating various contracts in ASEAN, including without limitation, MSAs, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, RFP/RFI/RFQs, terms and amendments for contracts within ASEAN, including government contracts. In addition, the Candidate will be responsible to address day-to-day legal queries in ASEAN. As a member of the broader Asia Pacific Legal team, the Candidate will work closely with specialist lawyers from across the region in a collaborative manner to support the delivery of legal services to Cognizant's operations in ASEAN and growth strategy, including on issues such as employment, privacy, M&A, corporate governance, etc. From time to time, the Candidate will be required to assist in managing external counsel. Duties and Responsibilities:
As part of the legal team, the Candidate will be responsible in providing legal services to the ASEAN business in a timely, accurate and strategic manner. The Candidate will be required to review, draft and negotiate contracts such as MSAs, Outsourcing, IT Services and Supply agreements, and including from time to time bespoke agreements. The ability to negotiate, draft and interpret complex liability regimes, intellectual property clauses, government contracting frameworks as well as data protection, privacy and GDPR are all critical responsibilities of the role. The Candidate will be required to guide business stakeholders on escalation processes, and project manage the review of agreements. Mandatory Skills:
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and contract drafting skills in variety of technology transactions.
- Strong commercial acumen, robust time and management skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to multitask.
- Experience in providing support to pre-sales and sales stakeholders.
- An established ability to analyze problems, and make recommendations base on logical technical knowledge and judgment.
- Evidenced project management skills, accountability for delivery and provide legal services in a proactive manner.
- Commercial acumen with the ability to interact and work with multiple senior stakeholders, both locally and globally.
- At least 5-6 years post qualification experience (PQE), gained at a reputable law firm, or in-house.
- A professional legal background in Information Technology and Intellectual Property contracting.
- Called and admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Singapore Bar.
- Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor gained at a reputable university.
- Experience working in multi-national organizations will be well regarded.