Commodity Risk Analyst is responsible for delivering advanced analysis, research and reporting to provide deep business understanding and control, strategically utilizing networks, mitigating high-impact trading risks and driving regulatory compliance in order to support the team's core accountability of delivering independent daily exposures, profit and loss (P&L) reporting and analysis of trading activities.
About the Opportunity
Commodity Risk Analyst is a key analytical and control position within the Commodity Risk and Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) Finance organization, in the Global Oil Trading business. This role is accountable for providing deep business understanding and control through the delivery of value-added reporting and analysis. It holds the primary interface into the trading front office, balancing independence with a business enabling partnership. This position requires holistic understanding of the activities within Commodity Risk in order to meet the team’s core accountability of delivering independent market risk analytics, risk mitigation strategies, independent exposure and P&L, working capital and cash forecast, and analytics to support business insights.
- Responsible for independent, timely, globally aligned and accurate valuations of trading book position, exposure and performance data via operational oversight of day to day accountabilities of the team.
- Lead the delivery of daily and monthly control processes
- Support the validation of integrity of management information provided to Financial Accounts for the Group Accounts and financial disclosures.
- Identify/raise and mitigate financial, operational & reputation risk related to trading book positions and exposures.
- Single point of contact on any working capital related issues. Forecasting, allocation and optimization of working capital to ensure book remains within limits while embedding rigour and challenge.
- Provide support for entering/exiting new instruments/markets & growth/contraction of existing business via effective due diligence, such as deal valuation, consideration of working capital and cash impacts, and identifying/ mitigating financial or operational risks associated with new activity.
- Evaluate and conduct a risk assessment of new investment and business initiatives proposed by the front office.
- Provide an independent opinion on the risk and reward of the new activities and propose recommendations on risk mitigation strategies.
- Demonstrate leadership proficiencies, able to lead initiatives, influence and participates in decisions and collaborate effectively across both regional and global teams.
- Develop and demonstrate a deep understanding of Global Oil Eastern Hemisphere (GOEH) supply and trading business, exposures, strategies and market fundamentals. Provide constructive challenge to trading activity to ensure it is compliant and aligned to intended trading strategy.
- Interpreting existing IST commodity risk policies, particularly the Market Risk Operating Standard and Delegation of Authority policies, and ensuring their accurate application in GOEH as well as providing inputs into the definition of new policies and procedures.
- Run and coordinate risk models and production of market risk analytics (including MVaR, Stress Test, Liquidity Test, Concentration Risk, sensitivities and scenario analysis, backtesting) and flag potential material risk to Front Office and senior management to support risk mitigation and decision making. This includes conducting regular review of the trading books to ensure that the market risks are appropriately quantified and controlled in the trading books and make recommendations on possible methodology changes and risk controls.
- books and make recommendations on possible methodology changes and risk controls.
Do you have strong analytical skills and rich knowledge of options valuation and risk management and understand the key controls used to mitigate risks?
We are looking for an experienced team player to join the Commodity Risk team. You should have a bachelor degree and experience in Market Risk Management and/or power markets in the trading industry. With the ability to deploy variety of communication styles to multiple stakeholders and peers, you will excel in the role! You should have desire to develop leadership capability and can support the development of the broader team across Commodity Risk.
About BP :
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
Our supply and trading business connects BP to the world’s traded markets for oil, gas, power, refinery feedstocks and currencies. We market BP’s equity crude oil and natural gas, import feedstocks for our refinery system and buy products to meet marketing demand. We offer a combination of unique expertise in physical supply and trading, innovative financial structures, and world-class analytics to deliver long-term value, from wellhead to end customer.