Digital Solutions Engineer
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities
The Digital Solutions (Technology Services) team is looking for a fulltime Infrastructure Lead.
You will be co-located with one of our product feature teams in Singapore. Each day you will be helping us understand, define, design, engineer, integrate, test, deploy and improve the best parts of our home-grown digital ecosystem to delight our human or robot consumers.
You're going to help us automate fundamental components with the broader bank, using open-source technology as a bias, and integrate them with the first -class development tool chain being delivered by your colleagues as part of the bank's transformation to a fully digital-native enterprise.
The most important characteristic we're after is that you are a passionate infrastructure engineer who puts the needs of your customer first.
You don't have to know everything, but you do have to have the potential to learn anything quickly - and pragmatically you should know a lot about some (not all) of the following disciplines:
As an infrastructure lead you can:
- streamline release processes
- align system architecture with the organization's reference architecture
- setup/automate monitoring of systems and housekeeping of servers
- manage system configuration
- investigate issues and identify remedial actions
- You understand that effectively managing infrastructure underpins quality product outcomes.
You are able to set-up and lead on the monitoring of systems and can undertake analysis to identify issues and take action to correct them. Engineering Fundamentals
12 factor development, microservices, agile development, cloud app-resilience, chaos testing, CI/CD, TDD, CS/E.Eng theory, TCP/IP, C, C++, Datacentre Technology
You understand that the way you develop software is just as important as the product outcome. You understand engineering terms and why they are important to speak about during product delivery. User Stories
As an infrastructure lead you understand user stories and can execute these based on detailed acceptance criteria. You can communicate issues and outcomes effectively with the product manager and agile team.
You know how to understand and execute user stories based on detailed acceptance criteria because you want to build the best product possible.
You're the kind of person that enjoys puzzles, logic problems and gains satisfaction from solving problems. You like communicating what you've discovered to your colleagues and clients in plain English, rather than encrypted acronyms, and working with your colleagues in co-located high-performance teams.
You'll be excited at being at the inception of a high-performance environment, and you'll enjoy being pushed technically and organizationally to do things 'the right way' as part of a world class brand.
Ultimately, if you're the kind of person that…
- enjoys aligning system architecture with the organization's reference architecture
- needs to move traditional infrastructure to a container platform such as kubernetes at the first available opportunity
- can manage system configuration including resiliency, load balancing, servers, firewalls, DNS and SSL certificates/keys
- can setup and automate the monitoring of systems and housekeeping of servers
- likes to propose and introduce new ways of working or technologies which can improve our infrastructure and enable more successful product development in the future
- can lead 1 or more agile teams from an infrastructure perspective
- can be pragmatic and commercial, but never settles for mediocrity
- thinks that 'full stack' is only 'half the stack'
- enjoys the idea of building a highly agile developer and engineering culture together with your clients and colleagues
then hopefully you're going to enjoy yourself in this group.
If you're good at being able to be effective in large enterprises, that is a strong plus. Standard Chartered is a large global financial services company and communicating effectively across cultural and language barriers is a highly useful skill. Our Ideal Candidate QUALIFICATIONS
Training, licenses, memberships and certifications Required
- High proficiency in written and verbal communication with experience in agile working environments.
- Experienced infrastructure lead who has a proven track record in streamlining the release process, automating system monitoring and managing system configurations.
- Proven track record of failing fast and adapting.
- Proficient in stakeholder management.
- Communicate easily with non-technical designers.
- Communicate easily with technical developers.
- Self-starter capable of identifying opportunities and delivering solutions on their own.
- Working knowledge of using gherkin/cucumber for defining acceptance criteria.
- Strong English communication skills.
- Undergraduate level qualification with Bachelor in Engineering and/or Computer Science.
- Breadth of technical knowledge - operating systems, networking, distributed computing, cloud as well as development tools.
- Do the right thing: Be brave, be the change; Think client; Live with integrity
- Never Settle: Continuously improve and innovate; Simplify; Learn from your successes and failures
- Better together: See more in others; How can I help?; Build for the long term
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.