Role Responsibilities What is the Opportunity?
We are seeking a talented and passionate, senior individual to join Standard Chartered as the Director, Operational Excellence in the Group Transformation Office.
The Group Transformation Office drives and executes the overall strategic transformation agenda. The team works under the guidance of the Global Head, Transformation, Chief Transformation, Technology and Operations Officer and TTO MT. The office also collaborates closely with other senior business and functional leaders in the bank to build and drive the bank-wide transformation. What will you do?
Operational Excellence (OE) Ways of Working (WOW) is an integral part of the Group Transformation Office and this role provides thought leadership and steer to Bank-wide Operational Excellence efforts in close partnership with senior management. The role requires driving holistic change by coaching and empowering people through multiple levers including process reengineering, structural changes, digitisation, policy streamlining, targets and tracking, training and accountability.
The Director, Operational Excellence is a global role based out of our de facto headquarters in Singapore. This role requires good understanding of banking processes preferably across multiple business lines and functions and proficiency in process improvement methodologies with strong stakeholder engagement skills.
The incumbent must work with senior business leaders and is: Strategy
- Contribute to formulation of Bank's OE WOW strategy, ensuring alignment with strategic business outcomes.
- Establish a portfolio of initiatives to achieve target outcomes including driving broad bank-wide cultural transformation.
- Drive growth and branding of OE WOW in the bank, and help embed bank wide culture of sustainable continuous improvement.
- Support client journey efforts to help business achieve scorecard outcomes.
- Support local capability building on DWD / OE tools to internalise and accelerate structured problem solving.
- Establish and maintain a highly engaged working relationship with shared accountability with the respective business or function lines.
- Oversee and accountable for process management taxonomy implementation for assigned areas in the bank.
- Ensure that OE's proposed changes / reengineering don't compromise existing risks and controls and where required strengthen them.
- Engage process and risk control owners upfront in design of process changes. Have oversight of, direct tracking and monitoring of projects.
People and Talent
- Oversee delivery of OE portfolio of initiatives with accountability for delivering agreed outcomes.
- Guide teams in becoming self-sustaining in new process / work environments.
- Aware and understand the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
Regulatory and Business Conduct
- Champion and act as a role model of the Group's values and culture. Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Lead and support a change in mindset, building a culture of client centricity, agility, and accountability through standardised metrics and measurement, ensuring everyone in the Bank are drivers and owners of client outcomes.
- Ensure assigned OE capacity is reviewed to enable delivery of client outcomes.
- Ensure the provision of on-going training and development, and that direct reports are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risk.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Create a motivational and challenging environment for staff which is conducive to creativity and performance with customer centricity in mind.
- Provide feedback on transformation leaders to their people leaders, as part of performance reviews.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Group Management Team
- TTO Management Team
- CCIB / CPBB MT
- Business Heads
- Function Heads
- Transformation Leads across the Bank
- Group Process owners
- Functional Partners including Risk, CFCC, HR, Finance, Legal, GIA
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- 10+ years of experience in change/ transformation within Financial Services preferably in the Retail Banking operations
- Experience with a formal process improvement methodology (Lean, Six-Sigma, Human Centrix Design) - Black Belt / Master Black Belt Certification desirable
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel to do data analysis
About Standard Chartered
- Structured Problem Solving
- Strategic Planning
- Change Management and Communication
- Agile Transformation
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity , together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours . When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers