Temasek is an active, long-term, investor guided by our purpose statement 'So Every Generation Prospers' . Founded in 1974, and head-quartered in Singapore, we have grown to be a global investor across 13 offices in 9 countries. We invest with tomorrow in mind and are committed to delivering sustainable value over the long-term, with returns above our risk-adjusted cost of capital.
The Active Alpha Team (AAT) is being newly formed with a mission to drive excellence in developed market public equity investing. This group will bring together existing team members focused on public markets, along with experienced new joiners who are motivated by an opportunity to help build a new, high-conviction, alpha-investing team. Key role description:
Mentor and guide a team of 8 - 10 equity research analysts (both internal and new hires); work closely with AAT Portfolio Managers on monitoring the portfolio; help AAT PMs to communicate with senior leadership via monthly portfolio reports and quarterly risk reports.
The key responsibility of the Director is to (a) manage the process of generating, disseminating and capturing value-added proprietary investment insights, for the benefit of AAT and the broader Firm, and (b) implementing and maintaining research best practices.
The role will be a key partner to the PMs in seeding, and shaping, a winning culture for the newly formed team from day 1. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates, who are unafraid to propose and execute new ideas - in service of the creation of a high performance, collaborative, and forward-thinking investment mentality.
This is a full-time management role and the successful candidate will not have any research and/or direct investment responsibilities. Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Experience in direct equity research and portfolio management, or research head roles. Proven track record of leading and managing high performing teams
- Appropriate postgraduate / professional qualification (MBA, CFA etc.)
- Detailed understanding of the main approaches to equity analysis and research, and various valuation and investment techniques, across a range of sectors
- Respected and trusted by key stakeholders as able to demonstrate and encourage research best practices
- Clear leadership skills and abilities. Strong emotional intelligence, empathy, and a commitment to Temasek's corporate MERITT values
- Team player, who can build and maintain strong and effective relationships within the team, with peers and also with other departments managing public equity positions across the Firm
- Day to day oversight of direct reports. This includes guiding due diligence, development of team's research skills, regular one on one meetings to review investment theses, models and reports.
- Talent development, including coaching and mentoring, recruiting and hiring, and performance appraisal and management
- Develop and oversee the production of research output relevant to equity recommendations, including high quality and timely company notes and flash notes, valuation tables and periodic sector, regional and thematic research.
- Drive analytical excellence: Be passionate about building a high calibre equity research team, and managing them to full potential. Develop and improve the framework of stock ratings and recommendations (and their communication). Coach analysts on developing investment views and financial models (and act as a sounding board on thesis and counter thesis). Ensuring timeliness of research product with a focus on innovation and continuous development.
- Develop robust research process: Work with the AAT PMs to develop a robust process which supports equity investments and maintenance research. The process should be able to support (a) the idea generation framework and (b) decision making framework.
- Investment process and governance:
- Work with AAT PMs in communicating the portfolio strategy and individual stock thesis.
- In conjunction with the AAT PMs, develop and organize the governance framework for equity research recommendations for both research inclusion and portfolio inclusion.
- Maintain and report on risk management of portfolio.
- Performance measurement and reporting.
- Communication: Respond to research requests from within the investment network and be a collaboration catalyst between AAT and Temasek's various sector and country teams
- Compliance, ethics and culture:
- Support adherence to regulatory, compliance, ethical and legal responsibilities for the equity research team
- Serving as a role model with these behaviours
- Be a strong culture carrier and support firmwide initiatives in building a great place to work