Head, Engineering - Software & Standards
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities Strategy
- Directing software products and tools that can be used by software development teams across the Bank. The strategy is to design and create building blocks that will enable engineers to deliver at accelerated pace world-class digital products to our clients.
- Defining end-to-end Developer Journeys, architecture and evaluation of target state developer tooling to achieve optimised and automated journeys.
- Focusing on accelerating the banks Cloud first strategy through creating of strong foundational building blocks. In addition, the candidate will accelerate adoption of SaaS based products where it makes technical and commercial sense and migrate from on-prem products.
- Engineer and make available Golden Versions (GVs) of software products and tools that are secure, compliant and following best practices made available for Cloud, Container and different OS
- Engineer and implement controls in DevOps tooling to enforce usage of GVs
- Open Source Libraries lifecycle management and tracking. This includes automated controls in DevOps for these libraries.
- Work closely with SecOps team to automate vulnerability scanning of GVs and libraries (VulDB, X-Ray for Software, Aqua for Containers, Sonatype Nexus Lifecycle for libraries)
- Responsible for onboarding and life cycle management of SaaS tools used by Engineering Excellence and DevOps team (for example, StackOverflow, Abacus and GitHub Enterprise)
- Technology owner of architecture and collaboration tools used across the engineering community (for example, Abacus, JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint, StackOverflow). Keep technology fit for purpose to support migration to SaaS
- Technology Owner of Planning and Collaboration tools. Keep technology fit for purpose and upgrade to support New Ways of Working (for example, Clarity Replacement)
- Manage the DevOps data and enable Reporting as a Service based on DevOps data
People and Talent
- Work with Technology Governance to follow appropriate policies, procedures and quality checks for creation of GVs for the Bank
- Own the IT processes for deployment and release management and collaborates with the owners of the Product Lifecycle Management process
- Lead through example and build the engineering culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from the team and stakeholders.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development; make sure that the team members are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles, ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
- Scouting, hiring, inspiring and managing the best technology talents in the field of Cloud & DevOps, and emerging technologies both internally and externally.
- Provides mentorship and guidance for our team around software architecture and enterprise platform integrations
- Is open-minded, a team player, and excited by emerging DevOps technology challenges in an innovative working environment
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment within the Cloud & DevOps organisation
- Ensure onboarding of technologies are done properly with Legal, Compliance and Security Teams
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and, if necessary, escalated through the relevant committees
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Establish and maintain effective governance processes including training, advice and support, to assure the target Software & Standards is effectively implemented
- Ensure adherence to, bank-wide technology standards.
- Improve and simplify GVs governance and decisioning across the strategic Technology Themes and Emerging Technologies
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in the team
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Responsible for building a culture of good conduct
- Lead the data team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Engineering Community across the Bank, Enterprise Technology Team, Technology Standards Team, strategic external vendors for engineering tools and software
- 15+ years of experience in Software Engineering
- Project Management and Management of Engineering teams
- End-to-end Developer Journeys, architecture and evaluation of target state developer tooling to achieve optimised and automated journeys.
- Strong software design background to understand the needs of the developer community
- Strong understanding of Cloud and building Public Cloud native applications on AWS, Azure
- Understanding of DevOps and SDLC
- Passionate about Open Source and delivering software for the Community
- Experience with Agile software development practice
- Experience with rapid prototyping and testing techniques
- Able to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment
- Comfortable working in a corporate environment
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Excellent problem-solving skills, open to challenges
- Critical thinking and communication skills
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.