Head, Loan Trading and Private Debt, West
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities Business & Strategy
Risk Management & Governance
- Set the strategic direction of and oversee management of performance of the Senior and Mezzanine warehouses and Loan Trading business (referred to as LTPD) for MENA and E&A within Global Credit Trading
- Develop specific strategies which maximize shareholder value and are aligned to and in furtherance of the overall strategic direction of LTPD and Global Credit Trading
- Work with Regional and Product Heads to identify initiatives to grow the LTPD franchise
- Bid for and purchase loans from both external and internal sources to service an immediate client demand and/or position for subsequent sale on the Trading Book
- Build-up, manage and trade a global book of par, stressed & distressed loans profitably, with profitable churn
- Support Originate & Distribute strategy of Global Credit Markets through active trading of loans and private debt
- Drive new models/product implementations as necessary to grow O&D strategy
People & Culture
- Responsible for identifying, assessing, monitoring, controlling and mitigating risks to the Group. Also, an awareness and understanding of the main risks facing the Group and the role the individual plays in managing them
- Ensure that the loan and warehouse book for the West (MENA and E&A) complies with issuer, sectorial, geographical, and ageing limits set by TRM
- Promote a working environment where compliance with internal control functions and the external regulatory framework is a central priority of the business
- Ensure business functions under the desk's area of responsibility comply with internal policies, procedures, codes and applicable external laws and regulations and adhere to the expected high standards set out in the FM Code of Conduct
- Ensure adherence to all internal and external regulations and procedures.
- To embed Operational Risk monitoring as an integral part of the business process. Towards this, to effectively carry out the assigned role, if any, under Compliance Risk Management and Operational Risk Management Assurance.
- Ensure that the business meets its obligations the prevention of money laundering under the Group Policy and Standards and under local laws and regulations.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Work closely with colleagues including Head, LTPD, East and with other stakeholders, including but not limited to credit analysts, TRM, legal, operations and compliance
- Provide effective leadership to the LTPD West business, and mentoring and coaching to the team to ensure they are highly engaged and performing to their potential
- Have an inclusive mindset, and align with SCB's desired human resource qualities, and the people culture desired within FM
Our Ideal Candidate
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Relevant degree
- An ideal candidate should have 5 - 10 years of experience in Engineering/Finance /Management
- Appropriate RNF for regulated activities under the SFA and the FAA
- "Lay of the land" knowledge of the traded and distressed loans market in MENA and E&A . Familiarity of the traded term loans market in US would be a strong added advantage.
- Familiarity of network of loan buyers in these markets, especially in the TL-B loan space, but also a good knowledge of buyers/traders in the stressed, distressed and mezzanine loans space.
- Experience of having dealt with and traded with a wide range of TLB loan shops primarily, and secondarily buy-siders dealing in the stressed and distressed loans space - whether they be banks, pension funds, SWFs, insurers, asset managers, and other types of FIs.
- Familiarity with loan booking appetites, and the buying and selling patterns of many players in the loan booking community, and what their internal requirements and respective thresholds are, from par loans to stress/distressed/mezzanine.
- Trading/ Analysis experience across a wide spectrum of loans: in varying credit rating qualities, structures, tenor, jurisdictions, and industries over many years.
- Familiar with clearing prices - - where loans trade, where demand is at for each loan margin bracket, and have a track record of being highly involved in pricing loans.
- Knowing where to price loans viz a viz the broader market / competition in order to generate book turnover such that ageing limits are not breached, while maintaining target threshold profitability amidst risk tolerance parameters.
- Track record of risk managing a broad book of loan assets, demonstrating the skill of effective loan buying and selling, and effective pre-emptive prioritised sale / loss cutting where necessary.
- Sharp business acumen, including ability to assess risk and commensurate level of ROA/ROE
- Ability to work fast, think on one's feet and turnaround deliverables on time and on target
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.