- The Head of Third-party platforms plays a strategic and important role in the API & Open Banking Ecosystem. As a new value chain gain traction which change banking interaction models toward third party platforms, this role is integral to create and deliver the right capabilities to capture and materialise opportunities presented in open banking, embedded finance, banking as a service and the future world of open finance.
- This individual will work closely with colleagues' part of platform commercialisation teams to shape and drive the capabilities to unlock revenue and improve time to value. As third-party platforms are not direct customers of the bank, it requires a different model for onboarding and transacting through intermediaries. Streamlining this process whilst still maintaining a solid risk posture are key to success. The core capabilities which streamline the end-to-end lifecycle digitisation as well as simplify connectivity, setup and testing form the product roadmap which should differentiate the bank and improve time to value dramatically. This is a people leader role and will manage a team of product owners and other staff.
The Head of Third-Party Platforms has the following responsibilities Role Purpose & Responsibilities
- Digital Platforms is a strategic global business in CCIB that creates differentiated connectivity solutions for clients to efficiently and securely the Bank's transactional services in over 50 markets. The focus of this role is enabling third party platforms to unlock the market opportunity in embedded finance.
- The role would be suited to a candidate experienced as head of a department responsible for innovative Client solutions based on APIs with a specific focus on third party platforms and API marketplace / developer experience offerings.
- Proven track record in building and deploying financial services API's solutions in Transaction Banking and Financial markets thus creating significant value for customers and in additional revenue based on new business models.
- Working with both a strategic and a tactical focus, the suitable candidate will be responsible for delivery of a significant investment in enhancing our clients' digital experience. The candidate shall determine priorities, manage deliveries, strategies business development, structure solutions, prioritise product developments base on client requirements and achieve agreed client outcomes.
- The role requires close partnership with Transaction Banking and Financial Markets businesses to deliver for clients. Other key stakeholders include global Sales and Implementation teams, Technology, and risk owners such as market risk, operation risk, credit risk, legal and compliance.
- The candidate should have a good understanding of a cross-border, FX and payments ecosystem to be able to proactively identify product and process improvement opportunities to bring value to clients.
- The role will leverage existing and explore innovation in foreign exchange, payments, collections and mobile technology to deliver cross border and domestic electronic solutions to corporate clients and their suppliers, buyers and consumers in the ecosystem.
- Have worked with leading companies in the API space (egg Alibaba, Amazon, Tencent, Ojek, Fintech start-ups, Digital banks and other corporate).
- A background in building API marketplaces / developer experience solutions to drive new innovation, cross product and 3rd party integrations is beneficial.
- Track record in attracting and developing talent and managing large technically minded teams effectively.
- Strong network in the Financial & Fintech space and experienced in building API bundled services that consist out of solutions from internal and external providers.
- Engagement across the global organisation and with senior leaders will be a core part of the role to champion the API solutions, and to drive digital adoption and innovation through the bank.
- The role will leverage existing and explore innovation in payments, collections and mobile technology to deliver cross border and domestic electronic solutions to corporate clients and their suppliers, buyers and consumers in the ecosystem.
- This role reports to the MD & Global Head of APIs & Open Banking Ecosystem.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Build a product roadmap for third party platforms portfolio that will position Standard Chartered to unlock the commercial opportunities in embedded finance, banking as a service and future models like open finance.
- Define the product strategy and roadmap for the Standard Chartered API marketplace, this is a differentiated offering which will unlock the ability for clients and partners to rapidly innovate, implement and deploy production grade solutions.
- Able to proactively identify and express client needs related the API marketplace and third-party platforms.
- Set priorities and communicate them effectively to stakeholders.
- Meet with internal and external clients regularly to understand their needs and assist sales with pitch preparation and presentations.
- Continuously evaluate the bank's digital capabilities to identify and prioritise opportunities to grow volumes and revenue.
- Responsible for marketing messaging, client solution use cases and testimonials.
- Organisational readiness for new service rollout including training, process guides and securing necessary stakeholder approvals.
- Launch key enhancements, including post implementation tracking of anticipated benefits.
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis, management reporting.
- Contribute to industry forums representing the Bank professionally and effectively.
- Managing risks and regulatory issues associated with flows in digital platforms.
- Product capabilities information to be kept up-to-date and professionally documented for both internal and external audience, thus ensuring the available features and services are correctly commercialised.
- Engage, negotiate, onboard and integrate third party platforms.
- Possess a strong understand of both the external regulatory environment and internal risk models when dealing with third party platforms.
- Provide continuous feedback and thought leadership to the business development teams of emerging trends in the market and client needs for product evolution.
- Conduct regular business review meetings with business development team periodically to ensure on-going product satisfaction and usage, introduce new features, cross-sell capabilities, and build client loyalty.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Third-party platform ecosystem to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles. Fair Outcomes for Clients, Effective Financial Markets, Financial Crime Compliance, The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Head of Cash / Cash product owners
- Head of Trade / Trade product owners
- Head of FM / FM product owners
- Head of Commercialization
- Regional DCDA team
- Regional Coverage / Sales teams
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- Master's degree or equivalent.
- 10 + Years of Experience across FX, Payments, Trade Finance and API product management expertise.
- Experience working at the intersection of business & technology and creating leading edge digital products & solutions.
- Deep knowledge of Foreign Exchange, cross-border payments and channels and the evolving wholesale, institutional and retail B2B/C Commerce space.
- Strong stakeholder management and inter-personal skills to actively engage with cross-cultural teams across the globe.
- Proven track record in building professional relationships across and outside a complex matrixed organisation.
- Understanding of digital channels, API solutions, mobile technology including the features / benefits of the products and services offered, and how those features benefit customer.
- Prior experience and training in agile development methodology is essential.
- Comfortable operating in ambiguity, managing through change and making decisions.
- Experienced in conceptualising and articulating sustainable and cost-efficient business solutions. Analytical, critical, and creative problem-solving skills with an in-depth understanding of utilizing digital solutions to meet business goals in better ways.
- Effective and persuasive communication with experience in presenting to clients, delivering training courses, co-creation sessions, and to senior stakeholders.
- Able to produce quality documentation which may include management reporting, client-facing materials and business requirements requiring attention to detail and ability to articulate without ambiguity.
About Standard Chartered
- Open Banking - Detailed understanding of open banking standards and regulatory frameworks such as HKMA, PSD2. Aware of all global initiatives in open banking and the emerging standards.
- Delivery management - Experienced in delivering complex software products requiring multiple systems and teams to achieve and end to end customer journey and/or outcome.
- Corporate Banking - core knowledge in corporate & institutional banking business and core product capabilities across cash management, trade, and financial markets.
- Payments Standards - Deep understanding of the payments industry, digitization trends and standards which are driving innovation and change.
- Agile Product Management - Experienced in agile product management and working methods.
- APIs - Technically competent in API terminology, taxonomy and associated technology, industry standards and trends.
- People leader - Experienced in leading teams of senior product owners responsible for delivering components of the portfolio.
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers