- Permanent, Full time
- Schroder Investment Management (Singapore) Ltd
- 16 Nov 18
As the Legal Counsel, you will be part of the Schroders’ Southeast Asian Compliance, Legal and Governance (CLG) team (as well as the wider APAC CLG team) that handles a wide variety of matters primarily in connection with the firm’s Southeast Asian businesses and the APAC infrastructure hub ( Trading, Trade Processing, IT, Finance and Tax Services).
Reporting to the Head of Legal, Southeast Asia, you will work on matters largely relating to Singaporean laws (but will from time to time include matters relating to UK laws, Indonesian laws, Malaysian laws and Thai laws). In collaboration with Compliance and Governance regionally and with others throughout CLG globally, the key aspects of your role are:
- Provision of legal advice on legal matters affecting the firm’s Southeast Asian businesses and the APAC infrastructure hub in the key areas of the role described below
- Provide consideration and support of legal, compliance and regulatory issues for Schroder’s products (onshore and offshore) sold in Singapore, including to prepare and submit applications to and liaise directly with regulators in relation to the establishment, registration and on-going maintenance of retail fund
- Including ad hoc projects related to regulatory and Schroder Group policy changes.
Key Areas of the Roles:
Retail & Intermediary
- Preparation (drafting/review) of fund-related documentation including trust deeds, prospectuses, information memorandums, extraordinary general meeting papers, investor notices and product highlight sheets for Schroder’s fund products (onshore and offshore) sold in Singapore
- Preparation (drafting/review) and negotiation of intermediary agreements in connection with the firm’s Southeast Asian businesses
- Provision of legal advice on distribution issues in connection with the firm’s Southeast Asian business
- Preparation (drafting/review) and negotiation of investment management agreements and rebate arrangements with institutional clients.
- Preparation (drafting/review) and negotiation of commercial agreements in connection with the APAC infrastructure hub.
- Preparation (drafting/review) and negotiation of agreements with trading counterparties.
Essential Skills /Requirements
- At least 3 to 7 years of PQE.
- Experience handling funds work with a reputable law firm or asset management firm
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Willingness to learn coupled with a keenness to take a holistic view of issues, priorities, reputational and regulatory risks, cultural nuances and efficient solutions with an independent mind-set
- Team player across CLG, globally and with business colleagues.
- High level of awareness of the commercial implications of legal issues
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as in a team to achieve common business goals
- Ability to explain relatively complex concepts in a clear and concise manner