Providing and procuring legal services across the entire portfolio of Trafigura's commercial activities with particular focus upon the trading of physically and financially settled oil, products, bulk, LNG and metals and the shipment, storage and transportation of the same Supporting connected trade and structured finance will also be required.
Instructing, managing and supervising external legal resources.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities: Key Responsibilities
- To be the first point of contact in the office for the provision and procurement of legal services.
- To identify any need for in-house legal resources, and to provide, procure and manage the same.
- Assisting during all stages of disputes from live advice to managing arbitration, litigation, mediation and enforcement primarily with respect to trading and shipping disputes but also other disputes or investigations as necessary.
- Reporting to management and commercial desks on the progress of disputes and strategy.
- Provision of legal assistance on emergency issues.
- Advising upon a variety of agreements in support of the trading and shipping businesses including joint venture agreements, sale/purchase contracts and associated documentation and MOUs.
- Advising on regulations relevant to the business.
- Planning, providing and procuring training to regional staff on legal issues and on an ad hoc basis, as part of established training programmes and in relation to compliance programmes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working as member of Trafigura Group Legal Network which provides and procures a full legal service to the Trafigura Group.
- Establishing strong working relationships across the business.
- Legal professional qualification with at least 4 to 6 years post qualification legal experience within the shipping, trade and commodities sectors.
- Qualified in either the UK, Australia, Singapore or New Zealand with credible private practice experience in such jurisdiction and in house experience in a trading or related commercial environment, with significant international and cross border experience.
- Broad range of legal skills with particular focus upon trading and shipping work including financial, commercial, litigation, corporate and structuring.
- Good IT skills and organizational skills.
- Excellent command of English.
- Positive, self-motivated, committed, pro-active and efficient.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Strong communication skills to communicate complex legal issues and advice in a digestible manner.
- Ability to relate to commercial staff and management under pressure and with commercial perspective.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with people at all levels across the business.
- High integrity essential.
Key Relationships and Department Overview: Key Relationships
- Internal and external stakeholders