Checkout.com is one of the most exciting fintechs in the world. Our mission is to enable businesses and their communities to thrive in the digital economy. We're the strategic payments partner for some of the best known fast-moving brands globally such as Wise, Hut Group, Sony Electronics, Homebase, Henkel, Binance, Klarna and many others. Purpose-built with performance and scalability in mind, our flexible cloud-based payments platform helps global enterprises launch new products and create experiences customers love. And it's not just what we build that makes us different. It's how.
We empower passionate problem-solvers to collaborate, innovate and do their best work. That's why we're on the Forbes Cloud 100 list and a Great Place to Work accredited company. And we're just getting started. We're building diverse and inclusive teams around the world - because that's how we create even better experiences for our merchants and our partners. And we need your help. Join us to build the digital economy of tomorrow. Job Description
Checkout.com is seeking a talented Legal Counsel with a strong payments regulatory and product background to join our Legal team. The Legal Counsel will be expected to advise on compliance with financial services and payments regulations, interact with payments regulators, particularly those in APAC, and develop and/or maintain a variety of internal procedures, policies and compliance related documents.
As Legal Counsel you will work closely with all areas of the business not only in our Singapore office, but also in our APAC offices and other offices around the globe. You will need to take a consultative and collaborative approach to solving complex legal and business issues.
As you will be collaborating with all core functions within the company, the successful candidate should be able to handle multiple areas of responsibilities autonomously, demonstrating excellent critical judgment with hands-on approach. This is a great opportunity to work with our expanding APAC team on a broad range of projects across multiple jurisdictions, learn new areas of law and play a key role in supporting the company's rapid growth. You will report into a Senior Legal Counsel based in Singapore.
You will be joining an expanding legal team in one of Europe's most valuable fintechs. Checkout Legal's mission is to be a legal team that exceeds expectations. We do this by providing pragmatic and trusted advice and balancing risk management by fusing high performance, innovation, collaboration and integrity. Qualifications
- Qualified solicitor/lawyer (5-8 PQE) with strong post-qualification experience either in-house or in private practice
- Previous experience at a global fintech or a bank, in the payments organization of a large marketplace/platform company, and/or achieving similar strategic outcomes for a payments organization at scale
- Strong understanding of legal principles applicable to payments, including the payments ecosystem (e.g., the role of acquiring and issuing banks, card networks, payment processors, gateways, etc.), regulatory and licensing strategy and execution (e.g., stored value, money transmission, compliance obligations, licensing issues) and consumer protection laws.
Extra marks if you have:
- Willingness to be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken in this role
- Comfort with ambiguity, constant change, and a fast-paced culture
- A practical, solutions-oriented focus to solving legal challenges
- Proactive and capable of working with minimal direction
- Excellent judgment and project leadership skills, able to handle and deliver on numerous high-priority projects concurrently
Additional Information Apply without meeting all requirements statement
- Experience working internationally and on a variety of cross-border matters
- Additional language skills
If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values. We believe in equal opportunities
We work as one team. Wherever you come from. However you identify. And whichever payment method you use.
Our clients come from all over the world - and so do we. Hiring hard-working people and giving them a community to thrive in is critical to our success.
When you join our team, we'll empower you to unlock your potential so you can do your best work. We'd love to hear how you think you could make a difference here with us.
We want to set you up for success and make our process as accessible as possible. So let us know in your application, or tell your recruiter directly, if you need anything to make your experience or working environment more comfortable. We'll be happy to support you. Take a peek inside life at Checkout.com via
- Our Culture video https://youtu.be/BEwnpHuadSw
- Our careers page https://www.checkout.com/careers
- Our LinkedIn Life pages bit.ly/3OaoN1U
- Our Instagram https://www.instagram.com/checkout_com/