The Macro economist will develop independent and original market views and will work closely with IST traders to drive successful trading strategy. The goal of IST Analytics is to drive continued growth in trading profits by identifying changes in supply and demand fundamentals and communicate the likely impact on price action to the trading benches in a timely fashion. Increasingly oil price is also influenced by financial, as well as fundamental drivers. A key accountability of this role will entail researching and quantifying these relationships, highlighting risk to fundamental trading strategies.
This front office analytical role will involve working with IST traders and analysts to understand, predict and monetize macro led oil price drivers.
The successful applicant will be engaged in monitoring and forecasting financial markets, and will provide insights into linkages between these and fundamentally based trading strategies. Detailed analysis of financial markets and investment flows will be required. The successful candidate will be expected to generate original analysis and articulate views on potential impacts on different paper and physical trading instruments. The role will also liaise with Treasury trading and Group Economics and will be involved in both short and long term Analytics projects, which aim to give BP greater insight into cross commodity linkages.
In addition the analyst will support development of econometric models across the Eastern Hemisphere oil analysis ecosystem. This will entail updating and improvement of existing models as well as the development of new models to forecast both fundamental variables and price. The analyst will help to define best practice in econometric modelling and will act as a driving force to embed this across the wider analytics community.
- Provide market views on financial markets, the overall Macro outlook and their impact on oil price drivers
- Monitor global economy, financial flows and oil markets.
- Communicate relevant price and fundamental insights to traders and analysts on a regular basis
- Bring a new perspective and challenge [energy] demand assumptions
- Develop new and improved existing econometric models across IST market analytics
- Drive useful and insightful analysis across trading books, highlighting position risk and contributing to trading strategy
- Work closely with traders, originators and analysts within the regions to share knowledge and meet common objectives
- Model and communicate linkages between markets such as commodities, FX, equities & fixed income and how these correlations change over time
- Identify and test opportunities for analysis that will support the trading books in the region
- Support continued development of the Analytics infrastructure
- Work in a proactive manner to support origination and trading in understanding market dynamics and potential outcomes
- Foster dialogue with stakeholders on the research outcomes, develop trading recommendations based on analysis
- Implement models and tools for front office and internal team use
- Strong academic background in Economics and Econometrics
Essential experience and job requirements
- Professional analytical background, Interest in financial markets and understanding of economics and drivers of price
- Strong understanding of economic theory and financial markets
- Prior experience as economist or macro led financial strategist
- Understanding of the global oil market fundamentals (supply, demand) and commodity asset flows.
- Modelling experience
- Strong Excel skills, experience in python
- Desire to learn
- Knowledge of trading instruments