Risk Management Lead-Nexus
Want to join the team shaking things up in the banking world? We're looking for fun, hardworking, results-oriented individuals to join nexus, the team responsible for Standard Chartered's brand new, Banking as a Service solution.
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Nexus banking will spearhead the bank's digital innovation into building platform banking capabilities and the ability to plug into existing digital ecosystems to gain scale for our international operations. Strategy
- Steer the development of nexus Indonesia's business plans with strategic risk assessment and appropriate framework to manage the risk to the bank in Indonesia as well as to the rest of the group and venture partners.
- Provide strategic risk assessment of nexus Indonesia's competitor landscape and define the risk appetite for Nexus Indonesia and appropriate risk returns for its ventures.
- Actively engage thought leaders of non-traditional bank competitors on risk innovation, exploration and adoption of alternative risk models and data sources to realise Nexus Indonesia' mandate to enable transformation of the Group's business models, capabilities and technology stack.
- Contribute to the development of risk, performance management and remuneration processes, in order to encourage the development of an appropriate risk culture and discipline.
- Responsible for risk related disclosure to regulators, investors, analysts and rating agencies (such as annual and interim results, Pillar 3 and ensure they are compliant with applicable regulatory requirements.)
- Represent the Risk function in relevant committees or management forums
- Align stakeholders and Nexus Indonesia on thinking and approach, including situations where Bank could be a client.
People and Talent
- Ensure effective management of operational risks within the Risk function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
- Work collaboratively with SC Ventures and Country/Regional/Group Risk functions
- Supervise development of the key processes as per the requirements of the function.
- Continuously improve the operational efficiency and effectiveness of risk management processes
- Define an organisation structure aligned and scaled to the risk control needs of the Nexus Indonesia.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people and ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Risk function's people
- Establish the appropriate risk -reward culture for Nexus Indonesia
- Lead through example and embed the Group's valued behaviours and code of conduct in the Risk function
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports including structure and capacity plans.
- Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Function from those whose primary responsibility is to maximize short-term revenues and profits
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Responsible for integrated risk management approach for nexus Indonesia
- Review and assess the requirement for relevant Principal Risk Types and set up appropriate oversight and challenge in line with local requirements
- Ensure that first-line and second-line responsibilities are clearly defined and understood in the context of risk management
- Propose, in consultation with SC Ventures Committee, the nexus Indonesia risk appetite for review by the Risk Committee and approval by the Board.
- Assess periodically the risk profile of Nexus Indonesia and its portfolio and maintain alignment with risk appetite by rebalancing of risks or controls that may be required in response to internal and external factors.
- Uphold the integrity of risk/return decisions, by challenging activities, investments and new ventures undertaken to ensure risk origination and control decisions are properly informed and consistent with strategy and risk appetite.
- Direct appropriate response to material events or other risk issues that come to the CRO's attention.
- Risk Ownership of Credit, Reputational, conflict of interest and Operational Risks
- Develop and maintain risk identification, measurement and modelling capabilities which are objective, consistent and compliant with applicable regulations, and adequately balanced against wider competitor landscape beyond traditional banks.
- Ensure that material risk exposures and related issues are reported to the responsible governance committees and to the Board or Board committee as appropriate.
- Assign risk authorities to suitable named individuals in line with their skills and judgement.
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of Nexus Indonesia key external stakeholders and partners in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures.
- Define and maintain, in consultation with Finance, loss provisioning policies, procedures, delegated authorities and forecasting methods
- Plan and Conduct stress testing, as and when required, in line with local regulatory requirements and expectations
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Ensure Nexus Indonesia' business heads, first line process owners and all Risk Control Owners understand and accept their risk management responsibilities.
- Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the country operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of credit risk management and ensure these are well understood internally and reflected in internal procedures
- Obtain assurance regarding the effectiveness of credit controls and compliance with applicable laws & regulations
- Actively participate in key committees through standing membership.
Key Stakeholders Internal:
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across all SC venture dealings. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Board and Members of the SCB Indonesia
- SC Ventures Risk and CFCC stakeholders
- SC Ventures Committee members
- Group Risk stakeholders
- Partners of Nexus Indonesia
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and valued behaviours
- Flag any serious fraud/conduct issues in the Indonesia
- Graduate degree with 15 years of relevant Risk Management experience
- Leadership role in Digital industry/startup/bank innovation space, focusing on enterprise risk management.
- Bank training; i.e. mandatory & developmental - role specific, and regulatory/compliance bank wide & role specific
- Senior Management level experience in Credit, Operational, Liquidity and Compliance risk management
- Languages; English
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .