Risk Programme & Portfolio Manager - SCVentures
SC Ventures ("SCV") was established in March of 2018 with the purpose of "Rewiring the DNA in Banking" by bringing three distinct areas together:
The eXellerator labs, enabling innovation at large in the Bank by supporting:
Entrepreneurially-minded colleagues as "Intrapreneurs", developing ideas to products, services or new business models.
Collaboration with fintech companies, supported by the SC Ventures FintechBridge, Proof of Concept ("POC") framework and POC funding.
Client engagement on co-creation activities.
The Innovation Investment Fund ("Fund"), USD100m allocated to acquire minority stakes in fintech companies ("fintechs") whose technology has been successfully validated in the Group and is progressing to production (i.e., continuing use), subject to commercial due diligence.
Venture building, exploring new business models ("ventures"), with the objective of providing 'optionality' for the Group in the way it engages existing and new customers and markets. These adopt a start-up model, operating independently of the Group's existing businesses, funded in a venture capital fashion, and under a different governance and risk management framework.
There are c.65 team members (excluding individual ventures), including dedicated colleagues from the Group's support functions, based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nairobi, London and San Francisco. Key Roles and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to support SC Ventures in a broad-based Risk role responsible for the:
a. Review and challenge of investment fund(s) and potential Fintech investments
b. Risk reviews and assessment of business ventures
c. Programme management of substantial Risk initiatives
d. Risk governance and committee management
• Risk effectiveness review of investments fund(s) and second line of defence review and challenge of potential investments - equity/credit analysis of potential Fintech investments considering product/market/sales fit, financial and cash-flow analysis etc.
• Risk assessment of individual business ventures - coordination of risk assessment across all risks within the Group's ERMF. Review of effectiveness of risk management arrangements at the ventures.
• Programme management - working with all the relevant functions to ensure substantial Risk projects are run cohesively and with strong coordination and stakeholder management, including:
a. Project planning, documentation of project status reporting and preparation of management packs.
b. Meeting planning, agenda, minutes and running workstream / steering group meetings.
c. Supporting the management of activities to agreed timelines vs. assigned owners.
d. Anticipating and providing solutions to complex strategic questions and managing numerous stakeholders who will at times have conflicting priorities.
• Risk governance - development of Risk policies, standards, control frameworks etc as required for SC Ventures, and for the Group in respect of digital risks.
• Committee management - review and challenge of papers, recommendations for redrafts, questions to be addressed at committees, agenda and follow-up action managements, minute taking for Risk fora
People and Talent
• Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
• Set and monitor objectives for direct reports and provide feedback in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives. Support the development of direct reports in line with the skills required.
• Proactively manage resourcing in team and on projects to support successful delivery.
• Foster good relationships with the Function Leads.
• Be an example for others to follow with regard to implementation of change.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
• Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
• Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
• Lead the SCV Risk team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.] *
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters. Knowledge and Skills
• Strong academic background. Relevant professional qualifications / Masters a plus.
• At least ten-years' experience in Financial Services within Risk and/or Control functions.
• Strong Corporate Finance / Equity / Credit Analysis skill set and direct experience.
• Good experience of management of complex projects and ideally team management.
• Excellent written communication skills to Committee and Board level
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.