We are one of the largest investment management organizations in the world, with over 1000 people working together to create long-term value.
Investment Services Private Markets & Finance
Investment Services Private Markets & Finance (ISPVMF) is responsible for investment services for the private market and financial management across the GIC group. It is responsible for providing operations and reporting support to the private market business of GIC as well as budgeting, accounting, payment processing, cash management, tax and financial & management reporting services to all departments, corporate management companies and the global offices of the GIC group. It is involved in deal structuring and closing, transaction processing, administration and accounting of investment holding companies, review of financial controls for asset operations, cash & securities reconciliation, valuation and financial reporting for assets under management.
GIC has offices in 11 cities around the world and invests in more than 40 countries globally across a wide range of asset classes and financial products in the public and private markets. The Tax function in ISPVMF is responsible for all tax matters relating to the GIC Group and portfolio. GIC seeks to hire a Senior Vice President for the Tax function within ISPVMF. This role will lead a team covering Enterprise Tax. The person will also be a member of the leadership team in the Tax function and support the Head of Tax in driving tax initiatives and managing tax matters across the GIC Group. Responsibilities
- Leads and develops tax initiatives and strategies for the Enterprise Tax. Your responsibilities may include:
- Tax Governance: Create a robust governance environment that enables GIC to delivery on its mission and strategy. Strategize (i) improvements in the GIC tax governance and tax control frameworks; (ii) ways in making it easier to operationalize, adhere and/or monitor these procedures; and (iii) ways to be more proactive in portfolio asset management, taking into consideration the proposed/agreed changes in the tax policies by supra national organizations
- Technology: Build next-generation tax platform, drive automation of tax processes, reporting and analytics for the global Tax team, as well as process improvements to create efficiencies
- Talent management: Lead a high performing team. Drive performance and development of the Enterprise Tax team to meet both the business needs as well as the individuals' career aspirations within GIC
- Be a strategic partner. Builds and maintains strong relationships (i) within GIC (i.e., Corporate Services and Investment teams); (ii) with tax authorities, governments, and regulatory boards in Singapore and foreign jurisdictions; (iii) with supra national organizations; (iv) with peers, as well as (v) advisors. Your responsibilities may include:
- Tax awareness: Increase visibility of Tax within GIC and build trust with internal stakeholders, which includes juxtaposing tax risks with commercial/business needs and aligning GIC's objectives of creating and protecting long term investment values
- Tax policies and legislations: Proactive in anticipating the impact to GIC arising from key tax/policy changes and articulating the tax risks and opportunities to the internal stakeholders so that they are well understood; and influencing the relevant governments and/or supra national organizations on the drafting/amending/clarifying the relevant clauses
- Vendors and advisors: Manage and resolves service issues with advisors
- Be a trusted advisor & steward. Advises and stewards Enterprise tax risks (e.g., transfer pricing, permanent establishment) and opportunities arising from the activities undertaken/to be undertaken by the relevant internal stakeholders, including investment professionals
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant tax experience, with cross-border tax experience
- A law degree with a major in Tax, or holds the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation, or comparable professional credentials
- Strong understanding of Government/OECD/EU tax policies
- Experience in the investment industry is preferred
- Strong team player. Demonstrates leadership capabilities in cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills, ability to think broadly and strategically, assess a variety of factors, recommend a solution and execute well
- Strong communicator. Able to adapt own communication styles to the different audience. Proven skill to synthesize complex technical concepts into plain language for non-specialist audiences
- Has strong organizational/project management skills and the ability to efficiently progress multiples assignments. Has excellent attention to detail and consistently high levels of accuracy
- Demonstrates personal initiative, strives to innovate and build best practices, but is highly attuned to the need for pragmatic solutions
- A continuous learner with a growth mindset who stays on top of business trends and tax technical changes