SVP / VP, Data Steward Coach, Data Managament, Technology and Operations
- Permanent, Full time
- DBS Bank Limited
- 20 Feb 18 2018-02-20
See job description for details
Group Technology and Operations (T&O) enables and empowers the bank with an efficient, nimble and resilient infrastructure through a strategic focus on productivity, quality & control, technology, people capability and innovation. In Group T&O, we manage the majority of the Bank's operational processes and inspire to delight our business partners through our multiple banking delivery channels.
As part of the DATAFIRST program and our aspiration to drive value from data across the bank, the DATAFIRST program is driving three pillars of work and transformation across DBS.
Within the Enable Data pillar, we are establishing Data Stewards under the Data Governance organization with the goal to â€Unlock the value of data whilst maintaining controlsâ€.
The Data Steward role is a strategic and critical role needed for the realisation of the program and the bankâ€™s 2020 objectives. Data Stewards are tasked with driving up value, through ensuring we leverage our existing assets, supporting the acquisition of new data to drive increased value, curating and improving metadata to support understanding and speed to access and to ensure the right controls are in place to protect and access the data.
Data Stewardship is a key enabler to drive business value as well as a quality control discipline designed to ensure custodial care of data for asset enhancement, risk mitigation, and organizational control.
The Data Steward plays a critical role in promoting the data driven culture and is responsible for the coordination of all data governance activities in the Business/ Support Units (the Data Community - collaborating with COO, Application Owners, Application Managers, and other Data Stewards) to drive business value from data. He or she works with other Data Stewards to create alignment and horizontal integration of data and information across all appropriate business areas.
He or she is responsible for obtaining buy-in and participation from leadership teams in the Business/ Support Unit for data governance activities and has significant influence in setting the data governance policies, standards, and goals for his or her organization. This is a senior level position that requires in-depth knowledge and on the job experience in their particular Business or Support Unit, the ability to effectively collaborate within own department and across broad parts of the organization and influence others without reliance on formal authority.
- Drive data usage to achieve business value
- Enable delivery and curation of data to achieve desired quality to meet business needs supporting time to data and time to value for the organization.
- Drive organizationâ€™s Data Governance Maturity by:
- Enabling ethical sharing, collaboration, reuse and transparency of data across Business/ Support Units thus enabling Trust in the data.
- Enhancing access to data by enabling access to the right people to the right data at the right time
- Enable acquisition of the correct source data for use cases, while keeping an eye on future needs of the Business/ Support Units and the organisation at large
- Manage the organizationâ€™s and Business/ Support Units scarce resources by applying sound practices to prioritize data related initiatives that utilize these resources efficiently
- Champion to provide Data Governance as a Service
- Acts as the agent for change in driving data culture, ensure appropriate usage, and access across his or her Business/ Support Unit
- Collaborates with data owners, data scientist and data owners to enhance, maintain, and govern data assets
- Promotes usage of shared data, encourages enrichment of metadata for proper usage
- Trusted advisor to the most senior executives in a Business/ Support Unit:
- Solves complex project issues which may require facilitation of multiple senior resources
- Quickly earns the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders
- Executes with limited information and ambiguity
- Excellent relationship management behaviors with ability to:
- Maintain relationships with business, technology and operations areas
- Mobilize and motivate teams and drive process improvement
- Deliver tough messages with grace.
- Problem Solver and Project Manager
- Coach the principles of operational and data governance excellence
- Development of problem statements and action plans
- Value stream mapping, project planning and systematic problem solving
- Plan and manage complex projects and timelines
- Understand data usage needs and set targets and plan to deliver against portfolio requirements to drive business value
- Leads his or her data community, brings together Application Owners, Application Managers, and other Data Stewards to resolve data related issues
- Provides guidance/coaching in executing data governance standards/methods to ensure security, quality, and proper usage of data assets
- Sets standards and guidelines for Data Acquisition/Data Onboarding, Data Classification, Data Storage, & Usage to ensure appropriate data is being used to derive analytical models and concepts
- Promotes data sharing across BUs/SUs by establishing proper guidelines and standards for access, security, usage, enrichment and maintenance of those data assets
- Leads and facilitates the Data Communityâ€™s identification, definition and management of Critical Data Elements. This includes the business and technical definitions, metadata and golden source information, and ensuring its full inclusion in the Data Governance tools platform and workflow
- Leads Data Communityâ€™s data lineage program, including, tracing samples of data from report back to origination; checking transformations and aggregations for accuracy; and proving out accuracy by reconciling against source documentation
- Leads and facilitates the Data Communityâ€™s data quality assessments, including: data profiling, establishment of data quality rules and thresholds for Critical Data Elements; review of data quality reports provided back to the Community
- Applies issue management and resolution processes for the data Community leveraging the authoritative data governance tools, building consensus around key data issues and actions required to address them, and developing action plans and timelines to complete remediation
- Provides regular reporting on Data Governance metrics and activities for assigned Data Community to his or her COO and Data Governance Office
- Identifies and executes robust and continuous improvements opportunities within the enterprise data management processes in the applicable systems.
- Degree in Business, Finance or other relevant field. Computer science knowledge is an added advantage
- Has worked with at least one Enterprise Application System, for instance, Trade Order Management, Portfolio Accounting, General Ledger etc.
- Experience in business and data analysis, process improvement and project management
- Banking specific knowledge and experience in governance, risk, compliance or operational functions
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, including ability to facilitate meetings and present to senior business executives
- Specific knowledge of the target business area (e.g. Consumer Banking, Investment Banking, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Risk, Audit, Legal, etc.)
- Knowledge of data/content management (Ex: relational, mainframe, web, metadata etc.)
- Experience in developing standards, processes, and policies
- Exposure to multiple business units in companyâ€™s environment to understand the linkages and dependencies
- Expertise in the use of data governance, profiling, analysis, and management tools.
- Well networked and respected amongst peers
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the professional advantages of a dynamic environment that supports your development and recognises your achievements.