Ref. Number: 22086 Department: Operational Services Department Job Type: Global Recruitment Posting Date: Jun. 24, 2022 Closing Date: Aug. 24, 2022 Senior Environment Specialist - Private Sector
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow - infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 105 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients' needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Senior Environment Specialist will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance, and training; and appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). Responsibilities
Participate in the identification, preparation, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects, both Sovereign-backed Financings (SBF) and Nonsovereign-backed Financings (NSBF), including financial intermediaries (FI) Projects and capital market operations. Operational Support
Primary responsibility is to support the preparation, implementation and appraisal of ES risks and impacts associated with FI projects and capital market operations, against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Policy (ESP). More specifically, this responsibility includes:
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
- Screening of projects for potential ES risks and impacts and proposing the ES category for the project.
- Screening for climate change-related risks and impacts and supporting clients in managing those risks and impacts during preparation and implementation of projects.
- Conducting ES due diligence reviews of NSBF (FI and capital market) projects, undertaking field visits to assess the ES feasibility of the project and selected sub-projects/activities financed through FIs.
- Supporting the clients on stakeholder consultations, gender analysis, managing labor risks, establishing grievances redress mechanism and disclosure of ES instruments and related information.
- Guiding the clients on preparation and implementation of environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs) and ES management plans, across priority infrastructure sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport as per the requirements of AIIB's ESP.
- Monitoring ES performance of sub-projects/ activities funded by the FIs and addressing any issues that arise during Project implementation, including any changes in project design or scope.
- Supporting PTLs and clients to address ES non-compliance by the client by providing support to develop, recommend, and monitor courses of action/corrective measures required of the client to bring the Project back to compliance with the AIIB's ES Policy.
- Coordinating joint developments with other departments on new financial products and applicable ES approach and matters related to AIIB's efforts in driving green financing, mobilizing private capital and ESG developments.
- Contribute to AIIB's knowledge base on applying ESP for private sector operations, including FI and capital market operations and emerging practices in the application of ESG frameworks.
- Develop and conduct training on ES aspects and requirements of AIIB's ESP, use of ESG approaches in capital market operations for AIIB staff, consultants and clients.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in finance, business, law, environmental management, or other relevant disciplines.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience with strong project management skills either working for an international bank, asset management, or as a consultant to a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral development organization, development finance institution and/or a private sector organization, managing ES risks associated with FI projects and capital market operations.
- Practical knowledge of a variety of financial instruments, including equity, bonds, loans, funds and others.
- Experience with the preparation, implementation and monitoring of ES Management Systems (ESMS).
- Ability to participate in the development and design of the ES aspects of projects.
- Experience in and ability to monitor ES aspects of projects and sub-projects during implementation.
- Familiarity with the Equator Principles, IFC performance standards, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and various ESG ratings/ scores.
- Awareness of potential climate change impacts to businesses and the need to decarbonize towards net zero.
- Professional expertise in planning, management and monitoring of ES performance of infrastructure projects and companies, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Proven ability to work professionally with public and/or private sector clients, FIs and development partners (e.g., MDBs, bilateral development organizations and development finance institutions) of AIIB.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to carry out complex tasks as part of multi-disciplinary teams, work under pressure to meet multiple deadlines; and collaborate with PTLs, clients and key stakeholders on managing environmental risks and impacts.
- Ex cellent written and verbal communication skills in English .
- Knowledge of language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency, and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences, and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB's mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.