Airwallex is the leading financial technology platform for modern businesses growing beyond borders. With one of the world's most powerful payments and banking infrastructure, our technology empowers businesses of all sizes to accept payments, move money globally, and simplify their financial operations, all in one single platform.
Established in 2015 in Melbourne, our purpose is to connect entrepreneurs, business builders, makers and creators with opportunities in every corner of the world. Today, Airwallex has a global footprint across Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North America. The Role:
Airwallex's global Legal team works cross-functionally and across multiple jurisdictions to develop and execute legal strategies that facilitate the launch and growth of Airwallex products and operations worldwide.
As the Senior Legal Counsel in SEA, you will play a central role in building a strong legal foundation for the SEA operations-from adapting our legal processes and documents to the local market to helping launch new Airwallex solutions in the region to acting as an all-around legal advisor to our business team. The Senior Legal Counsel will work across a variety of domains, including commercial contracts, employment law, corporate governance, and product counseling, and will also collaborate with stakeholders from our Sales, Partnerships, People and Management teams, among others. This dynamic role is ideal for someone who truly enjoys wearing multiple hats, isn't afraid of ambiguity or constant change, and thrives on taking action and delivering results.
Title commensurate with experience and background.
- Provide practical, risk-weighted legal guidance on a wide range of legal matters related to Airwallex's products and growth initiatives while managing the utilization of outside counsel judiciously
- Advise on regulations specific to our industry, as well as privacy and data security matters impacting the business
- Prepare and update internal Product Legal Playbooks and the Legal Wiki with product related regulatory information and positions
- Draft and amend customer facing template documents such as customer contracts, privacy policies and regulatory disclosures
- Negotiate banking agreements, technology license agreements and other inbound contracts related to Airwallex's products and operations
- Participate in ideation sessions to create amazing product experiences for Airwallex's customers that comply with the law--even when the relevant law is not well developed
- Partner with the broader team to share information about the regulatory environment to facilitate efficient and transparent legal support across the business
- Lean in - you are proactive about engaging with business partners to distill the most important issues and know how to prioritize to keep pace with a fast-moving business
- Possess strong legal instincts - you possess a strong legal foundation developed from tackling a variety of projects at past roles and are a quick learner who enjoys new challenges
- Are a natural process improver -- you have a well-honed ability to identify inefficiencies and uplift processes accordingly
- Are a strong communicator - you can synthesize and communicate recommendations to stakeholders and senior management in a concise yet thorough way
- Are a team player - you build rapport to become a vital part of a small, fast-paced team and work collaboratively with people at all levels and across functions and cultures
- Are a doer - you are self-motivated, thoughtful and passionate about effecting change within the organization and hold yourself accountable for delivering key outcomes
- At least 8 years of relevant legal experience, including at a top-tier national law firm and as an in-house counsel, preferably at a startup
- Broad corporate transactional experience, including drafting and negotiating highly-customized agreements; relevant regulatory experience is a plus
- Prior experience in payments or an adjacent fintech sector
- Juris Doctor, LLB, LLM (or foreign equivalent) from a top-tier law school
At Airwallex you'll have the ability to make an impact in a rapidly growing, global fintech. You'll be offered a competitive salary and we also like to ensure we create the best environment for our people by providing a collaborative open office space with a fully stocked kitchen. We organise regular team building events, encourage flexible/remote working and we give our people the freedom to be creative.
Airwallex is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and anyone seeking employment at Airwallex is considered based on merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We don't regard colour, religion, race, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital or family status, disability, gender, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Airwallex does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms/recruiters. Airwallex will not pay any fees to search firms/recruiters if a candidate is submitted by a search firm/recruiter unless an agreement has been entered into with respect to specific open position(s). Search firms/recruiters submitting resumes to Airwallex on an unsolicited basis shall be deemed to accept this condition, regardless of any other provision to the contrary.