Technical Architect, Digital Foundation Technology
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Digital Foundation Technology (DFT) is a domain under the Foundation Services and Technology Strategy (FSTS) CIO vertical. Sub-domains include bank-wide transversal applications of Workflow, Content Management as well specialized functions supporting Cyber & Data for COO as well as driving innovation via AI/ ML technologies.
Primary responsibility for Architecture across all products in the DFT stack for Standard Chartered Bank group:
Architecture Direction and Governance
- Develop Architecture roadmaps that are aligned to Business, Function and Country Strategies and investment appetite.
- Develop and apply architectural Principles which drive investment decisions in alignment with Strategies of Business, Function and Country, against a defined business outcome.
- Guide the design and realisation of applications architecture for the domain that is future-fit, open source and supports seamless migration to Cloud.
- Explore, guide and initiate selection and application of innovative technologies in Big Data and AL/ ML/ OCR, in line with core architecture principles, allowing efficient processing, accurate data and efficient deployment.
- Define architectures for a consistent, quality client experience across multiple products.
- Guide process design by maintaining an enterprise process architecture, ensuring that processes align across the bank, including effective process hand-offs between teams and functions.
- Align applications with the overall data and integration architecture.
- Seek synergies and efficiencies to provide the best possible IT systems with an optimal investment and expense profile.
- Maximise effectiveness of existing products through re-use of existing systems and components in line with bank's technology standards.
- Guide the engineers and delivery teams to build a cohesive, optimal target technology platform
- Optimise the balance between affordability and capability, future and now, speed and risk, simplicity against functionality, innovation against proven solutions and shorter-term business requests against strategic technology direction.
- Provide expertise and independent input into the DFT Product Council that governs adherence of solution designs to agreed Architectural Principles.
- Define architectures for a consistent, quality client experience across multiple products
- Strike balance between affordability and capability, future and now, speed and risk, simplicity against functionality, innovation against proven solutions and shorter-term business requests against strategic technology direction.
- Apply architecture disciplines, tools and models to define targets and roadmaps.
- Identify opportunities to leverage technology synergies to save costs and improve efficiencies.
- Seek and exploit business adjacencies through designing solutions for technology gaps.
- Initiate innovative applications of technology to capture new business value.
- Set and guide the implementation of the technology infrastructure architecture.
- Conduct architectural reviews at check points along the project life cycle to ensure integrity of Architectural Principles and approval of exceptions.
- Establish and maintain effective governance processes including training, advice and support, to assure the target Architecture is effectively implemented
- Drive best practice, methodologies.
- Proactive in seeking regular assurance that the Architecture team is performing to an acceptable risk and control standard
- Include internal controls, legal and regulatory requirements in the processes of Architecture.
- Act quickly and decisively when any risk and control weakness becomes apparent and ensure they are addressed within an appropriate timeframe and, if necessary, escalated through the relevant committees
- Balance business performance delivery and cost management with risk and control matters to ensure that it does not materially threaten the Group, remaining within risk appetite
- Work in collaboration with risk and control teams
Our Ideal Candidate
- Architecture and Product Engineering team
- DFT leadership
- DFT Delivery Leads
- FSTS Tech Strategy & Standards team
- Business Partners across Business, Functions and Geography units
This role would require 15+ years of relevant experience in Technology, particularly in Data, ML, Workflow and OCR technologies, part of which is operating at the Group level of sizeable international companies. Some competency and experience in Cloud platforms will be required. International exposure, ability to handle cultural diversity and developing high performers are essential to this role. Having some operations experience and applied engineering discipline to real life problems is an advantage.
- Substantial experience in Technology at senior level.
- Must possess sharp business acumen.
(including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return)
- Strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity; able to lead a small but complex team based in multiple geographies.
- Ability to understand geographically dispersed and highly varied customer and product base.
- Strong communicator; able to communicate complex, often vague topics in a compelling manner.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .