The Transition Finance Banker will drive transition finance origination and revenues and transition SC's carbon intensive portfolios towards a Net Zero alignment. They will work directly with clients and key industry bodies and develop a reputation with internal and external stakeholders as the authority of the specific industry transition risks and opportunities. They will manage the specific risks that arise transition transactions, support to regional client and product teams, and develop the transition strategy and risk appetite for their industries.
Our Sustainable Finance team serves as a centre of expertise on a broad set of ESG topics, providing thought leadership, strategic advice and transaction support for SCB's clients. The group sits within the Commercial, Corporate and Institutional Bank and works with sales and coverage teams to identify and deliver on ESG-related advisory and product opportunities.
The Role described below is for an experienced and self-driven individual who will be responsible for the risk, business growth and strategic development. Strategy
- Work closely with the Head of Sustainable Finance, Head of Industries and Heads of Key Industry Groups to develop and execute a plan that would make SC the Bank best known for Transition Finance by our clients and other stakeholders.
- Works closely with the wider SF team, coverage and product leaders to develop and understanding of the competitive landscape and identify prospective partners who can address customer needs and accelerate growth.
- Work closely with key external bodies in the development of transition pathways for impacted industries.
- Drive new transition finance transactions and origination.
- Have a good understanding of the industry client base and proactively build pipeline, identifying core industries and regional priorities i.e. proactively embedding sustainability across all belt and road developments.
- Be able to work with relationship teams to develop client transition plans that's encourage decarbonisation in the region and supporting this transition with the banks products and services.
- Maintain an understanding of international capital markets and investors preferences.
- Provide support to industry origination teams by providing insight into sustainable finance structures, environmental and social risks and developing regulations. Empower the frontline to proactively engage clients on this important topic.
- Proactively keeping abreast of regional global, and industry developments, assess implications and align and develop Bank relevant initiatives across businesses in response to regulatory and industry development in sustainable finance.
People and Talent
- Responsible for coordinating with stakeholders in cross-functional teams on the design, execution, and measurement of client or segment strategies.
- Manage and coach the transition finance origination team as well work to develop global sustainable finance team as a centre for excellence in the bank.
- Training and capacity building of the regional origination, and risk teams.
- Work closely with Risk to build bankable models and risk appetite for key transition technology and industry groups.
- Safeguard the bank against reputation risk damage but proactively developing transition finance structures that are in line with global industry best practices.
- Encourage good and proactive management environmental, social, regulatory, reputational and ethical risks governance across by all areas of the business.
- Take the initiative regarding regulatory, reputational and ethical matters, taking the initiative for providing proactive advice to clients.
Regulatory and Business Conduct
- Ensure compliance with the sustainable finance governance structure and environmental and social risk management policies. Challenge improvement of these.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
- Responsible for delivering 'effective governance'; capability to challenge fellow executives effectively; and willingness to work with any local regulators in an open and cooperative manner.
- Able to develop and manage the relevant governance for any client partnerships.
Key Stakeholders Internal
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Adhere to local and international regulator prescribed responsibilities and policies.
- CCIBMT management, product, and client teams
- Global Head of Sustainable Finance
- Global Head Industry Teams
- Relevant Industry Heads
- Global Head of Environmental Social Risk Management
- Global Sustainable Finance Team
- COO CCIB, GB, FM, TB, CF
- The Bank's customers, competitors, regulators, investors and partners
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ability to independently drive initiatives with minimum hands-on supervision.
- Client focused with ability to establish and leveraging high impact relationships and presenting creative solutions.
- Strong communication skills and stakeholder management skills.
- Delivery and execution focused.
- Able to influence and engage with C level execs.
- Ability to work with lots of moving parts and complexity.
- Data driven and leads with a scientific approach to data and delivery.
- Change management, and program management expertise.
- Highly skilled in creation of briefing materials, report writing and preparation of presentations.
Role Specific Technical Competencies
- BA or equivalent.
- 10 plus years of banking experience in origination, FM, Corporate Finance, DCM, etc product.
- Knowledge and experience across multiple products preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental and socials risks and ESRM policies of the bank.
- Ability to promote good teamwork, collaboration and management of conflict across stakeholders.
About Standard Chartered
- Industry knowledge
- Understanding of decarbonisation strategies
- Financial analysis and deal structuring
- Deal structuring
We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity , together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours . When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
In line with our Fair Pay Charter,
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
Recruitment assessments -
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website www.sc.com/careers