DESCRIPTION We are hiring a Data Engineer in Cambridge to expand Alexa Knowledge Federation - part of Alexa AI. When customers ask Alexa a question, anywhere in the world, our Knowledge Federation system links a broad range of techniques, each of which tries to determine the answer. Those techniques are diverse, including search-based approaches, machine reasoning over knowledge graphs, deep neural networks, and others. Our mission in the Federation team is to select the best available answer for every question, for that customer, at that time. That's a hard problem! To get there we need to solve interesting and exciting engineering challenges to ensure Alexa answers every question in real time, at a global scale, on tens of millions of devices. We also are addressing fascinating data science and applied science challenges, modelling the difference between acceptable answers and great answers to our customers' questions.
In the Alexa Knowledge Federation team, we get to make Alexa smarter every day. It's a fun challenge, and an environment where we're always innovating as part of a cross-functional team.
This role is both creative and data driven - we are searching for someone who can help us on scalability and long-term automation. This is an individual contributor role who will work closely with internal teams and partners across the Alexa Knowledge domain to provide decision support in this rapidly evolving space.
To be successful in this role, you will use your broad skills in database design, be comfortable dealing with large and complex data sets, have experience building self-service dashboards, and using visualization tools.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Creating new data pipelines to calculate new and existing metrics.
• Creating and maintaining self-service dashboards to serve our internal customers and inform our decision making.
• Designing and developing new methods to train our machine learning models as part of a cross-functional team.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or related field
• 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience in T-SQL based database systems
• Strong verbal and written communication skills across all levels of the organization, with both technical and non-technical colleagues
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • MBA or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or related field
• Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3, Glue, Kinesis and Lambda for serverless ETL)
• Experience working in very large data warehouse environments
• Experience conducting large scale data analysis to support business decision making
• Be self-driven, and show ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete or dirty data.
• Strong dashboarding skills with Tableau/QuickSight, etc.