Join us as a Principal Engineer
What you'll do
- Design and deliver software as part of the Digital platform, and help us improve the products that support other engineers in the bank
- This is an opportunity to work at the forefront of the bank's strategy, supporting Cloud and Cloud deliveries, and hone your technical expertise in a collaborative, Agile and forward thinking team environment
- As well as developing your technical talents you'll have the opportunity to build project and leadership skills which will open up a range of exciting career options
As a Principal Engineer, you'll be leading the technical delivery of the Software Engineering team. You'll be leading solution design options and explaining the pros and cons to key stakeholders for appropriate decision making. You'll also be leading the team in estimating after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity as well as maintainability and serviceability.
You'll also be:
The skills you'll need
- Responsible for work quality of the Software Engineering team, making sure it meets the technical standards for all services output
- Monitoring the technical progress against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance and providing updates to stakeholders
- Supporting and mentoring the team in understanding software languages and technical domains relevant to the areas
- Driving the adoption of software engineering principles, processes and best practices
- Driving a culture of concise and comprehensive technical documentation as a continuous process
We're looking for someone adaptable to a wide range of technologies and with a genuine enthusiasm for DevOps driven software development. You'll have strong Java, J2EE and Spring-Security development experience, as well as experience with continuous delivery. You'll also have experience developing software products or API's which are consumed by other developers and teams outside direct control.
You'll be a very capable communicator with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly to your peers and management level colleagues, with good collaboration and stakeholder management skills. You'll also have experience of leading software development teams in a matrix structure, while introducing and executing technical strategies.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Strong fundamentals of OOPS concepts, exception handling, coding standards and logging
- Expert knowledge of developing REST services using Spring Framework
- Knowledge and experience of Spring Boot, DB including Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL and NOSQL, microservices architecture, and data structures and algorithms
- Extensive web stacks experience, including REST APIs, resilient distributed micro-services, load-balancing and hosting
- Extensive experience at an expert level in designing and implementing large data systems, managing complex integrations and providing API access to other teams
- Expert knowledge of Java debugging tools and profilers