The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, it began operations in January 2016 and has now grown to 100 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, it will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
AIIB envisions the Chief Economist to lead the planning, implementation and supervision of the Economics vision, strategy and work plan of AIIB's nascent Economics Department (the Department) in support of AIIB's goals. The Chief Economist (Director General) will:
- Oversee AIIB's assessment of member countries' macroeconomic environment and debt sustainability.
- Actively promote research on sector policy and economic development issues of short-, medium- and long-term relevance to Asia including areas of strategic concern to AIIB.
- Oversee and actively disseminate AIIB's publications prepared by the Department.
- Oversee the economic analysis for proposed AIIB financings.
- Act as the chief spokesperson of AIIB on sector and development issues of importance to the region.
- Keep AIIB's Board and Senior Management informed of emerging policy developments and challenges.
The Chief Economist will have the following key responsibilities: Leadership and Strategic Management
- Establish and promote the Department's vision, goals, development strategies and key results in support of AIIB's objectives and in compliance with AIIB policies.
- Provide leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in introducing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and supervision of the Department's work programs and monitor the quality of outputs, achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the department.
- Anticipate the Department's resource requirements and ensure the efficient allocation of budget and resources.
- Oversee effective coordination and cooperation with other AIIB departments and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the planning, coordination and execution of AIIB's research activities, including collaborative research with other institutions.
- Oversee the provision of analytical support and macroeconomic analysis to operations and other departments.
- Oversee the development of appropriate methodologies for the conduct and monitoring of economic analysis for country engagements, investment projects and programs.
- Oversee the periodic review on a continuing basis for the economic analysis of projects and other economic research and development support work being carried out in AIIB.
- Oversee the collection of statistical data to maintain a database and provide related support services.
- Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Qualifications and Experience Education Requirements
- Supervisor: Vice President, Policy and Strategy.
- The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent: Manager and staff of the Economics Department.
Doctorate degree or equivalent in economics, finance, public/business administration or related fields. A master's degree in economics combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a doctorate degree. Relevant Experience
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience with an excellent track record of economic research and publications in internationally refereed journals.
- Established reputation in international academic circles and ability to project the role of AIIB as a regional leader in development.
- Sound planning, management and administrative skills together with superior interpersonal negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated performance in creating, motivating and leading diverse teams of highly qualified professionals.
- Good knowledge of multilateral development bank's organizational policies and procedures, including budgeting and human resource management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.