Finance - Funding Product Controller - Associate - London
- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Goldman Sachs International
- 19 Jul 18 2018-07-19
See job description for details
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB OUR FIRM
Goldman Sachs is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals.
Funding Product Controllers sit within the Finance Division which manages the firm's liquidity, capital and risk, and provides the overall financial control and reporting function. We are a diverse team and occupy a broad remit with primary responsibility for safeguarding the firm's assets - we help maintain the integrity of Goldman Sachs' finances. Funding Product Controllers have the same responsibilities as traditional Product Control but with the added dimension of exposure to funding, liquidity and balance sheet.
- Synthetic Products Group (SPG): SPG is a client facilitator and market maker in Equity Synthetics and Futures Products providing Market Access, Leverage, Balance Sheet and Liquidity Management. Products traded driven by client requirements; Swaps (Vanilla and Bespoke), Contracts for Difference, Index Futures and Forwards.
- Global Security Services (GSS): Provides hedge fund and institutional clients with access to execution, clearing and settlement of exchange listed products as well as custody services and margin lending. It also facilitates physical short selling in equity and fixed income products for both its clients and the rest of the Securities Division.
- Short Term Interest Rates (STIR): Makes a market in Repurchase Agreements, Commercial Paper and Government Bills. We provide our clients Funding, Liquidity, and Balance Sheet management. The franchise executes High Quality Liquid Asset (HQLA) and Government inventory sourcing.
- Global Liquidity Products (GLP): Sources and manages the Goldman Sachs' external secured funding requirements, manages firmwide cash and HQLA reserves and provides internal funding for the Securities Division.
- EMEA Balance Sheet Team: Produces regular estimated balance sheets for GS EMEA entities and provides historic data for use by internal stakeholders (e.g. Regulatory / Treasury / Financial Reporting)
Contact with virtually every part of the firm is essential to Controllers. Professionals in the department have the opportunity to experience Goldman Sachs businesses, products and sophisticated technology systems on a daily basis. Our key stakeholders span the firm and we work particularly closely with the Securities (Trading) Division, Risk Departments (Market/Credit/Operations), Treasury, Technology and Operations. Controllers is ideal for collaborative individuals who enjoy working in a strong team focused culture, being given responsibility quickly and are motivated by opportunities for challenging project work.
- Preparing the daily profit and loss account for trading desks, involving a critical assessment of the nature of revenue generated in the context of market moves and risk held.
- Producing and reviewing profit and loss attribution and commentary for the bank's trading, investing and new issuance businesses.
- Intelligently reviewing trading activity with the objective of informing a view around the valuation of the portfolio and also highlighting anything unusual or material to management.
- Production and analysis of the balance sheets for a trading desk and understanding and explanation of moves.
- Preparing estimated daily balance sheet reporting for European entities.
- Preparing monthly accounts for posting to the firm's general ledger and producing/reviewing relevant external disclosures.
- Monthly price verification review and challenge of trader inputs into inventory pricing as well as incremental assessment of less observable inputs.
- To engage pro-actively with traders and their management on current business issues.
- Assessing risk inherent in trading positions, e.g. market, compliance or reputational risk
- Developing an in depth knowledge of products and market awareness
- Understanding of the impact of Regulatory Capital rules on a trading desk's business.
- Ensuring compliance with all the Firm's financial reporting requirements.
- Account and monitor for the Firm's secured and unsecured financing activities.
- Liaising with other departments and divisions in a collaborative and problem-solving capacity.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS Basic Qualifications and Experience
- Have a qualification as a Chartered Accountant, or other relevant professional financial qualification (e.g CFA). We will also consider part-qualified candidates currently on other bank ACA/or similar programmes.
- Able to demonstrate technical accounting knowledge in your current area of expertise
- A track record of improving processes and adding value to clients and stakeholders
- Strong analytical and technical skills - Be able to demonstrate an aptitude for problem solving and attention to detail with the ability to exercise balanced judgment. Present sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Able to take a position on issues and influence others' opinions with recommendations
- A client and business focus - Effectively handle difficult requests, build trusting, long-term relationships with our clients, help the client to identify/define needs and manage business expectations while keeping up-to-date with emerging business, economic, and market trends.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills - Be able to demonstrate you are a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills. You collaborate and communicate clearly with others within and across teams, encourage other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.