Risk and Capital Management
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Nov 18
We are looking to recruit FRM Risk & Compliance - Risk & Capital Management Senior Manager/Manager
KPMG's FRM Wealth and Asset Management specialists advise asset management firms, including traditional managers, hedge funds and wealth managers on a variety of issues and challenges. The core services are summarised as:
• Risk & Capital Management – Risk Management Framework development, Assurance Mapping, Risk Appetite, Strategic Risk Assessment, Regulatory Capital Assessments (ICAAP)
• Assurance Reporting – Controls assurance reporting advice (relating to ISAE 3402, AAF 01/06, SSAE 18 etc), GIPS, Benchmark Assurance, AUPs, ad hoc assurance
• Governance & Controls – Operational Due Diligence, Governance Reviews, Policies and Procedures Reviews, Investment Operations Reviews, Outsourcing Reviews
We are an ambitious and growing team which works with a variety of other departments in KPMG across financial services including banking and insurance, and across KPMG’s service functions of Advisory, Audit and Tax. We are highly regarded internally and at the forefront of emerging practice, helping to define the KPMG approach to client solutions the wealth and asset management sector.
The Risk & Capital Management Manager will work closely with Senior Managers, Directors and Partners to deliver risk and capital management engagements to KPMG’s asset management clients. Areas of focus include:
• Risk management frameworks
• Articulation of risk appetite
• Risk registers
• Risk and control self-assessments (RCSA)
• Risk monitoring.
The role also includes opportunities to deliver client presentations, contribute to thought leadership, work on business development, assist with project management and coach members of the team. The team is based in Canary Wharf, London at KPMG’s UK headquarters, working at client’s offices in the City and West End for most projects.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
• Deliver high quality risk and capital management engagements to top-tier asset management firms.
• Know and apply risk and capital management rules and guidance for clients, based on a good understanding of asset management risks.
• Be seen internally and externally as a technical specialist, providing ongoing support and technical assistance to KPMG colleagues and clients, building long-term beneficial relationships.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge in areas of specialism and industry trends.
• Prepare and help deliver presentations and seminars on risk and capital management to clients and internally to KPMG professionals.
• Assist with KPMG’s annual Risk and ICAAP Benchmarking Survey, including: drafting of survey questions; analysis of responses; identification of trends; report writing; and participating in client meetings to share findings from the publication.
• Build and maintain a strong network of relationships, for example internally with other KPMG risk and capital management specialists in banking and insurance.
• Take on engagement management responsibilities, specifically: internal client and engagement risk management procedures; budgeting; and project management.
• Oversee more junior members of the Risk & Capital team sharing technical knowledge and insights to further the overall development of the team.
Below are some example projects that we have worked on:
• Assisted a global asset manager with addressing issues highlighted by the FCA, including helping design and implement a revised ICAAP
• Established a risk management framework and risk register for the asset management division of a global investment bank
• Designed a corporate governance structure and risk management framework for a European financial institution across banking, insurance and asset management
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
• Extensive knowledge and experience of applying FCA prudential handbooks e.g. IFPRU, BIPRU and GENPRU.
• Working knowledge of the financial services industry, in particular the asset management sector (including wealth management).
• Experience of working at a consultant, regulator or asset management firm, focussing on operational risk.
• Gained a good knowledge of operational risk management frameworks and practices in asset management and other financial sectors.
• Understand the expectations of the FCA and how this impacts asset management and other financial services firms.
• Experience with ICAAPs and have a good understanding of CRD IV.
• Be able to adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment, taking on new challenges, grasping new technical concepts rapidly, whilst delivering work to a high standard of quality and demonstrating strong attention to detail.
• Have experience managing and mentoring more junior members of staff.