Senior Test Automation Engineer
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
The Senior Test Automation Engineer role is part of a larger test team within our Octopus Labs Centre of Excellence.
You'll be working within an Agile product team on our customer facing Choice web and mobile products to perform the testing needed on a sprint by sprint basis, and using your automation experience, will help us improve our testing coverage.
On a day to day basis you'll be involved in:
Our tech stack:
- Reviewing User Stories to estimate test tasks, planning and executing tests on front office GUI applications, mobile apps and API's.
- Leading the automation effort, looking after the framework, maintaining tests, identifying and implementing improvements and taking ownership of the automation roadmap for the products you work on.
- Coaching and training other team members as they learn the automation framework (Selenium) and language (Python), providing input into our automation strategy, and ensuring it is followed.
- Writing and executing manual exploratory and non-functional tests where appropriate
- Taking part in all scrum ceremonies to represent the testing function, and ensuring that the SDLC and Test Strategy are followed.
At Octopus Labs we're building a suite of micro-services in Python, running on Tornado and hosted on Kubernetes in Google Cloud with MySQL databases. Our front-end developers use React, and we utilise Jenkins for our deployment pipeline and Sentry for exception reporting. We are integrating everything, from our own micro-services to third-party tools, into Slack. Qualifications About you:
What you'll need to be successful:
- You have solid experience writing, executing and maintaining automated regression tests, using Selenium with Python
- You have some experience in designing automation frameworks
- You have an appreciation for both manual and automated testing and know when it is appropriate to use either approach
- You are happy to run manual exploratory tests when needed to support the team
- You have a good understanding of non-functional (performance and load) testing
- Your experience includes working in an agile scrum development team, where you are well versed in estimating testing tasks and prioritising tasks for yourself (and other testers if required)
- You have used GIT or similar test repository tools
- You have tested Front end applications & Web services/API's
- You possess strong written and verbal communication, have an outgoing personality, and are confident dealing with others
- Having an immense attention to detail is in your DNA
- You enjoy being flexible, proactive, enthusiastic and hardworking
- You possess great problem-solving skills - fully understanding a problem, suggesting possible solutions, and proactively following through to conclusion
- You are comfortable performing peer reviews and providing constructive feedback as part of a mentoring/coaching approach
- You act as a good role model - learning and applying new skills and suggesting areas for improvement
- You value learning and have a testing qualification - e.g. ISTQB Foundation or Certified Agile Tester certification
And to really stand out from the crowd:
- Experience working in a DevOps environment
- A degree in the field of Computer Science or another rigorous discipline
- Any financial domain knowledge
- ISTQB Advanced Test Certification