Senior / Lead Python Engineer
Description Who are we?
iwoca is breaking down the barriers that stop Europe's 20 million small businesses from accessing finance. Traditional bank loans have slow application processes, inflexible terms and burdensome criteria. In contrast, we use cutting-edge technology to offer flexible access to credit with a five minute application process and a decision in hours.
Since 2012, we've lent over £800 million to over 30,000 businesses across Europe. Our customers include everything from cafés to car dealers, salons to solicitors. Along the way we have built a sophisticated technology platform, won numerous awards and grown a fun, and vibrant team.
However, we're still near the start of our journey - our aim is to finance a million small businesses within a decade and so we need more smart, hands-on people to help us reach this goal. About the role:
At iwoca we are dedicated to building the smartest lending platform in the world as we believe that finance should be as simple, seamless and powerful as electricity. We like to use Agile(ish) processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
We are very fortunate to have a passionate and dedicated CTO / Co-founder who ensures that Tech is always at the forefront of the business so the work you do is always valued. You could be doing anything from working on our REST API, asynchronous processing, automated testing patterns or contributing to our underwriting tools.
We could include a load of technical acronyms here and tell you about all the greenfield projects you could be working on, but ultimately it is important for you to know that the environment here is always exciting, challenging and fast-paced. We believe in investing in research to find the best possible outcome.
Therefore we are looking for passionate developers with an eagerness to work in a collaborative environment to build an awesome product that will help SME's across the world.
We run our Django-powered site on AWS, use asynchronous tools (Twisted, Celery) for time-consuming tasks and scientific libraries (numpy, scipy, pandas) for risk aspects. Application orchestration is done with Docker and Ansible and our monitoring is set up using StatsD, Elasticsearch-Logstash-Kibana. Requirements
- Experience developing Python (we use Python)*
- Knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases (ideally MongoDB and PostgreSQL)
- Knowledge of web frameworks (we use Django)
- Demonstrable experience creating robust, clever and scalable applications
- Experience doing it all: designing, developing, testing, deploying and maintaining
- Ability to manage projects, priorities, deadlines and deliverables (being autonomous is extremely important for us)
*If you don't know Python but are familiar with programming languages like Erlang, Haskell, Scala, Lisp, Clojure, or F#, we would still be keen to hear from you. Benefits
You will always have a say in the business and have the opportunity to really make a difference. Joining our team means you will be working on some cool projects and get the opportunity to really make a difference to people's lives. We also help all our employees become top performers and reward everyone in numerous different ways. Everyone at iwoca is smart, humble and motivated to do a good job so you are bound to love working here.
What's life like as an iwocan?
We all enjoy:
- A lovely office in central London, right by Tottenham Court Road
- Two company retreats a year (in places like the French Alps or Spanish seaside)
- Pool, ping pong, foosball tables and tournaments and yoga
- An ever-growing number of clubs including climbing, chess, football and boxing
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our office kitchen
- A paid volunteering day each year, for you to support your chosen charity
Just for you:
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- Stock options
- Enhanced maternity and shared parental leave
- A workplace nursery tax benefit scheme
- 25 days holiday per year and an extra day off on your birthday
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- Special celebrations for anniversaries and long service including sabbatical
- Flexible working
- Cycle-to-work scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer:
- Tickets to tech conferences across Europe
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- A calendar of meetups we host at our office
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code.