Ventures Financial Controller
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 800 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions Job Description
The Ventures Financial Controller is part of the Funds Finance Team - a 35 strong team embedded within the Octopus Fund Management business, with a clear mandate to be the primary business partner to the Funds business.
This is an exciting opportunity to both join the leadership team of the Funds Finance team and to work closely with investment professionals in the Ventures and Development Capital teams, developing a comprehensive understanding of the asset class across two product areas, Institutional Funds and Venture Capital Trust ("VCTs"). Octopus are the market leaders in the VCT space, and this is an opportunity to partner with a team who have a reputation for backing extraordinary companies.
The Ventures Financial Controller will be an integral part of the Funds Finance team, focused with the rest of the management group on the growth and development of whole team, as well as a key relationship with the investment business, helping to shape the future strategy of the team and the business.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing senior oversight to two qualified accountants and an assistant accountant, and for managing a wide range of stakeholder relationships professionally and constructively. They will be required to deliver an exceptional standard of finance support across the funds, as well as providing commercially focused financial leadership to the investment business.
This role will be suitable for a self-starter, comfortable working individually on projects or collaboratively within a team, and someone who will be able to demonstrate strong organisational skills to manage multiple projects. They also need to be comfortable coming into a role where parameters are changing, to be able to put their stamp on the role and galvanise and motivate the team to aspire to the same vision.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities Business Partnering & Team Leadership
- Have a thorough understanding of the Ventures business, the various funds and their portfolios. Understand performance measures, critically review and offer commercial and strategic analysis the facilitate enhanced performance.
- Partner with the Investment Teams to facilitate better portfolio management of our existing investments to track the key financial and operational data of our investee companies; improving information flows to Octopus throughout the investment, portfolio management and valuation processes.
- Provide best in class service to the Boards and maintain good working relationships with investment managers and other teams across Octopus.
- Work collaboratively with the Funds Finance Director ensuring that they are kept up to date on all material issues in the team, developments in the business and fund progress.
- Engage fully in the Funds Finance team and management group, committing to developing and growing the broader function.
- Manage a team of at least two qualified accountants, providing suitable review and support for their work, while also giving them the opportunity to grow and develop.
- Own the business P&L and cash flow and produce monthly reporting packs on the Ventures team to Octopus Group; reporting on UK, US and Asian offices.
- Oversee the budget process for the Ventures and business in collaboration with the Ventures CEO and support the budget process for Ventures and Development Capital Funds.
- Ensure there is appropriate oversight of work outsourced to external administrators.
- Oversee and support the year-end and interim process for the business and all the funds.
- Manage funds cash flow producing forecasts and preparing investor allocations in drawdowns as per the LPAs.
- Prepare and present financial best-in-class materials in Audit Committees, Board Meetings and AGMs.
- Be the point person for efficient operation of finance, fund accounting and administration, risk, legal and compliance.
- Ensure that accurate books and records and robust control environment are maintained for all VCTs; allowing for Reg 22 compliance to be effectively monitored on an ongoing basis.
- Produce annual tax packs for colleagues invested in LPs via Founder Partners
- Liaise with internal tax advisors re. corporation tax comps for UK and US.
- Critically review all existing processes, recommending and implementing enhanced processes where appropriate.
- Support the implementation of IT systems and the integration into the wider Finance technology solution for the business.
Ensure that robust processes and controls are embedded to allow for a nil error environment. Qualifications
Reporting to the Funds Finance Director, this role requires an individual who is highly organised, capable of both dealing with multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously.
The teams you will be working with are busy and diverse. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated and able to deliver to tighter deadlines. Competencies
Job Specific Experience/Technical Skills/Abilities
- Excellent leadership skills, with a proven ability to delegate responsibility to achieve results.
- Team player who can bring out the best in people. Enjoys mentoring and developing other members of the team.
- Enjoys working in a high paced, high energy environment.
- Attention to detail and very high level of professionalism in quality of work delivered.
- Wants to work in a high-performance organisation which aspires to be one of the top venture firms.
- Proven track record of delivering results.
- Someone who can look beyond the numbers and through thoughtful analysis deliver meaningful information to help the business thrive.
Additional Information Our Values and DNA
- Experienced financial professional ideally holding an equivalent position within a VC Firm/Fund or looking for their next level up, although other relevant financial services experience will be considered
- Qualified Accountant (ACA/ACCA or equivalent).
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail of funds as required whilst also being able to maintain a high-level strategic view.
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best. What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.