The Grpup Accounting Policy Advisor role for Group Accounting & Reporting (GRA) and the other businesses and corporate segment (‘OB&C’) is based within our Group Finance Team in Sunbury. This global role provides an excellent opportunity for the successful applicant to gain exposure to a wide range of accounting topics, network with a broad range functions / businesses and to be an integral part of both the OB&C segment and the wider GRA team
Our team is responsible for the group consolidation and preparation of the group’s published financial statements in the Annual Report and Form 20-F, quarterly UK stock exchange announcements (SEA), quarterly US filings (Form 6-K), and Financial & Operating Information book; as well as supporting the OB&C segment.
OB&C is a diverse and complex segment which includes the Group Functions (including Tax, Treasury, IT&S, Shipping, Global Business Services and Group Technology) as well as Biofuels, Wind Energy and Solar. Segment activity is global, but key functions and businesses are based primarily in the UK, US and Brazil.
Do you enjoy applying IFRS to complex and diverse transactions? Are you looking to broaden your understanding of IFRS? Do you enjoy making a difference through providing commercial insight through accounting advice? Are you a good communicator and able to build strong relationships with key stakeholders? Do you want to be at the heart of BP’s finance community?
In this role you will also be responsible for running the OB&C quarterly segment due diligence and quarterly variance reporting processes, as we as playing an integral part in monitoring and testing compliance with the group accounting policies across OB&C.
Key accountabilities :
- To support the OB&C Head of Accounting Policy and OB&C Control Manager during the due diligence process to enable the timely communication of Segment policy issues to senior management.
- To prepare comprehensive analytical review of the Segment’s quarterly balances (income statement, balance sheet, additional information and supplementary disclosures) to ensure all material variances are researched and explained to the Group Controller and CFO Group Finance.
- To support the Business CFO’s and Function Finance Managers in the application and interpretation of group policy for non-routine financial reporting issues as well as responding to ad hoc technical accounting queries from submitters, segment teams and senior management.
- To be the focal point for Group’s external auditors on significant OB&C policy matters
- To review and agree disclosures in the quarterly Stock Exchange Announcement (‘SEA’) and Group Annual Report and Accounts (‘ARA’) and complete relevant disclosure checklists and contribute to disclosure continuous improvement as required.
- To support the Group Reporting team, as they review and implement new accounting pronouncements, including assessing and adapting system processing requirements. Including liaison with local finance teams to ensure new accounting pronouncements are understood and restated data is prepared as required.
Ideally you will have an externally recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. ICAEW, ICAS, ACA, CPA) and relevant industry or public accounting experience.
You will have strong accounting, financial, analytical and communication skills. They will be a self-starter and able to work both independently and as part of a team. In particular you will have:
- Deep knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Experience of large group consolidations and external financial reporting.
- Ability to provide pragmatic accounting advice through understanding the business environment and managing potentially sensitive financial reporting issues.