Senior Analyst, Mortgage Markets - Market Operations Monitoring & Analysis- Markets Group (Chicago)
At the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the work we do is consequential and challenging. Our environment encourages growth and diversity. Our employees flourish in a team-oriented atmosphere and are dedicated to the important mission of the New York Fed. What we do:
The Markets Group at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York implements monetary policy on behalf of the Federal Reserve System, provides payments and custody services to foreign central banks, and acts as a fiscal agent for the U.S. Treasury Department. As part of these duties, the Market Operations Monitoring and Analysis Function (MOMA) within the Markets Group executes transactions in the open market and conducts detailed analysis of financial market developments in support of the monetary policy and financial stability decision-making process.
The Mortgage Markets Directorate (MMD) monitors and analyzes mortgage markets to inform the formulation and implementation of monetary policy and implements agency MBS and agency debt operations consistent with the FOMC’s authorization and directives. The MMD produces high quality, timely, integrated and thematic monitoring of mortgage markets that is grounded in its operational experience and direct interaction with market participants.
The MBS Funding & Liquidity team within MMD is seeking a candidate to fill a Policy & Market Analysis Senior Analyst position in Chicago. Please see below for further details on job responsibilities and qualifications. Your role as Senior Analyst:
Qualifications: What we are looking for:
- Maintain, improve, and develop a range of critical datasets and tools for operations and analysis within MMD that serve as the basis to inform stakeholders in the Federal Reserve system
- Develop a strong understanding of MBS market data sources that are critical to operations and analysis and seek ways to improve the efficient integration of these sources into the daily work of MMD
- Assist managers and senior staff across the directorate with ad-hoc projects related to both operations and market analysis, particularly focusing on data analysis and manipulation. Support broader cross-MOMA objectives and initiatives, as needed.
- Support or contribute to the planning, execution, and/or analysis of agency MBS operations with particular focus on ensuring these activities maintain strong processes and controls
- Keep up-to-date on mortgage market commentary and provide timely and relevant written summaries
- Travel to New York periodically
Please attaché a resume and cover letter stating your interest in this position with your application. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service. This position requires access to Federal Open Market Committee Data, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization, and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so. Why the Fed:
- Undergraduate degree in economics, finance, computer science, math, or a related discipline
- At least two years of work experience including one year managing and manipulating large data sets. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working with a range of data sources and databases, in order to produce robust analysis in support of MMD.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. Knowledge of Spotfire or other data visualization software a plus
- Knowledge of following tools or similar software: SQL, VBA, STATA, MATLAB, R
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret data in a robust manner to support business or key policy decisions
- Ability to accurately and independently perform operational and analytical duties under time pressure while managing multiple projects
- Strong sense of collaboration and intellectual curiosity
- Familiarity with financial markets and monetary policy
- Strong attention to detail, as well as good communications skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
Working at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You'll work in an environment with a diverse group of talented professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems. It's a challenge that demands the skills of a financial service professional and the intellectual curiosity of an academic—all combined with a passion for public service.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a work environment that respects and fully values the strengths and differences of its people. Working at the New York Fed provides talented professionals the chance to grow their skills at an institution that has served a critical role in the financial system of the United States and the world for over a century. An important component of the Bank’s diversity effort is our partnership with several professional non-profit organizations, including INROADS, JumpStart Advisory Group, NBDC Emerging Leaders, Seizing Every Opportunity, National Black MBA, Out for Undergrad, Prospanica and Reaching Out MBA.