Corporate Compliance - Senior Specialist
- Strong comp to include base,bonus, beneftis, etc.
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- MFS Investment Management
- 20 Jan 19
The Senior Specialist is responsible for designing and implementing components of MFS’ US compliance programs related to Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) activities (the "Compliance Programs"). The Senior Specialist interacts with various business units (including but not restricted to Trading, Operations, and Legal) to create compliance awareness, evaluate policies and procedures, advise on regulatory change, design and execute monitoring procedures, evaluate results, and develop and monitor action plans to address issues identified.
Primary functions will include, but are not limited to:
• Researches and understands regulatory requirements in the Compliance Programs; evaluates business unit policies, procedures, and controls in place to ensure compliance; advises business units accordingly.
• Keeps abreast of regulatory developments affecting the industry and Compliance Programs; assesses those changes to determine impact to existing Compliance Programs' policies, procedures, and controls; advises impacted business units accordingly.
• Keeps abreast of changes in business unit processes and activities; assesses those changes to determine impact to existing Compliance Programs' policies procedures and controls; advises impacted business units accordingly.
• Participates on relevant committees and working groups; advises the business units on regulatory matters as they arise.
• Works independently and/or with a variable team of compliance professionals to conduct recurring and ad-hoc compliance monitoring procedures, including forensic testing.
• Partners with external parties such as independent auditors or outside counsel to coordinate Compliance Program testing.
• Uses industry knowledge and judgment to research and escalate matters identified.
• Develops remediation plans to address issues or concerns identified and monitors to completion.
• Reports findings to supervisor and/or senior management and preparing periodic status reports or presentations on the monitoring activities and results.
• Partners with the compliance training team to identify, develop and/or deliver general or targeted training and education as Compliance Program needs require.
• Coordinates Compliance Department reporting to various committees, boards and Sun Life; works with assigned Compliance personnel and impacted business units to respond to committee, board and Sun Life requests; prepares and/or reviews initial drafts of reports as required.
• Supports Client Services by preparing responses to client compliance related requests (ad hoc and recurring). Involves appropriate subject matter experts and coordinates Compliance Officer review and signature when required.
• Research, recommend and participate in the implementation of business process improvement and technology solutions to enhance compliance processes.
• Maintains or assists to maintain or enhance other compliance programs as required (e.g., conflicts, records, privacy, etc.).
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience. Must have at least 7 years work experience in investment management, financial services or industry-related compliance experience. Working knowledge of investment management operations and advisory functions is required as is knowledge of subject area within scope of position. Significant prior exposure to investment management operations and its related rules and regulations is required as is significant direct experience in a compliance-related function.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate and implement operational controls and procedures is essential. Must be fully aware of industry practices, as well as evolving issues within scope of the position, and be able to relate same to MFS' operations and practices.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, customer-service, team-working and problem-solving skills. Must be able to write effectively, and present research, analysis and conclusions in a persuasive manner.
• Proven ability to develop and foster strong interpersonal relationships and to maintain effective cross-functional teams throughout the organization. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with outside parties at all organizational levels.
• Proven analytical skills. Make independent decisions, develop creative solutions to problems, advocate for same and manage implementation through to acceptance.
• Able to drive solutions throughout the organization and present ideas in an effective, non-confrontational manner. Escalate issues and advocate for solutions.
• Strong presentation skills are required. Must be able to present comfortably before small to mid-size groups (10 to 40).
• Represent MFS at meetings, conferences or related industry events. Participate directly with auditors and regulators during examinations.
• Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to analyze operational effectiveness are required.
• Must be proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to develop proficiency in MFS systems as required to perform the duties of this position. SharePoint experience is preferred. Must be able to conduct on-line research and to utilize applicable tools.
• Able to work overtime as necessary to keep current with work.