Senior Director Data & Analytics Engineering
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
Seeking a hands-on leader with experience driving outcomes through the delivery and support of data and analytics engineering across the financial and insurance value chain (from Corp functions to Marketing to New Business, Risk Selection, Service & Ops) for multi-billion-dollar companies. The primary goal of this position is to transform the technical management of data and activation of analytics to drive the growth and evolve the customer experience; from marketing, measure and retain Brighthouse Financial clients and unique sales and servicing network.
This position is responsible for defining and implementing data and analytics capabilities and platforms including the data management and integration capabilities, enterprise reference data, and analytics platforms across Brighthouse Financial. This role will be a critical partner, contributor to the assessment of new and existing platform architecture frameworks, software & hardware technologies, as well as the evaluation and selection on premise and cloud technologies to drive and realize Brighthouse Financial's Data Platform strategy. Key Responsibilities:
Shape and rapidly mature the Data & Analytics Engineering function to design, deliver, and operationalize end to end data and analytics capabilities and solutions; from consultation through operations. Partner with senior leadership on the continuing transformation into a data and analytics driven organization.
- Data Engineering & Integration Services
- Build the core data management framework and platform to drive the end-to-end digital platform for the Company.
- Own the creation, delivery, and operational support of data management solutions and enabling services such as a client information hub, contact and preference management centers, as well as operationalizing data optimization and management services.
- Partner with architecture and engineering to create a standard data integration, standardization, and consumption platform to ensure consistent use of information across partner organizations.
- Insights Solutions
- Develop and operationalize a model to integrate and scale the full life-cycle of analytic solutions into business processes to maximize the value.
- Manage, support and modernize analytic capabilities as a managed service including research environments, ad-hoc reporting and analysis, and shifting of tactical solutions to industrialized frameworks.
- Quality Assurance, Operations & Production Support
- Develop the discipline to ensure timely delivery of highly reliable data and data related solutions.
- Identify and realize opportunities to harden, modernize, and improve overall resilience of new and existing capabilities, systems, and platforms.
- Define and track metrics that demonstrate operational effectiveness and improvement opportunities.
- Data & Analytics Technology & Platforms Management
- Serve as the core experts for the company on the use, application, adoption, and operational support of all data and analytics capability stack; technologies, tools, and platforms.
- Working with Data & Analytics Architecture, Procurement, and Compliance to evaluate and operationalize new capabilities within the Company
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Lead a high-performing development and implementation teams recruiting, training, coaching and developing effective leaders and staff; develop, mentor and manage a team of technical leaders, engineers and data specialists.
- Ensure teams have appropriate support to meet goals and ensure that project risks are identified, mitigated and communicated to stakeholders
- Address open security and risk items in conjunction with audit, compliance, and enterprise security.
- Collaborate with peers in Research, Marketing, Distribution, Finance, and Technology to prioritize, plan and release capabilities within the Data and Analytics platform ecosystem.
- Identify structural and process improvement opportunities, overseeing the development and implementation of best practices for modern development principles and methodologies.
- Support the data platform, applications and workflows 24x7.
- Ability to lead teams using different delivery and execution models and shepherd agile practices and processes.
- Develop and implement organizational goals and compliance requirements.
- Innovate with and expand the organization's insight, data offerings, emerging approaches, skills and technologies.
- Research and develop new data solutions and tools sets.
Proven leadership and influence skills - This individual will be driving a fundamental transformation in the way uses web, mobile, and social data to drive business results. This will require changing mindset and behavior in business unit teams that do not report directly into this role. The candidate must have demonstrated not only an ability to lead and motivate a team of direct reports, but also the ability to drive change across a broader organization through influence.
Key Relationships: Direct Reports/Team :
- Minimum of 12 years of experience with increasing responsibilities in data management, business intelligence, predictive analytics, support of information systems and information technology, direct management of a major IT operation.
- Management consulting experience in execution and delivery in with large organizations (especially within Financial Industry), complex functional environments, and dispersed geographies.
- Proven track record in developing, deploying and maintaining transactional systems, operational databases and data stores, data warehousing, reporting, analytics platforms, tools, and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large, complex, multi-disciplinary systems implementation projects.
- Strong foundational knowledge and experience with peta-scale data systems supporting large consumer-facing websites.
- Hands-on experience in data and business intelligence delivery including hands-on engineering skills - interest and ability to roll up sleeves and work along with key architects and engineers in building our leading edge data systems.
- Broad understanding of multiple technologies - These include enterprise data platforms (SAP HANA/BDS, Teradata), No SQL (DynamoDB, MongoDB, HBase), DBMS (SQL Server, Oracle), ETL (Informatica, Pentaho), Reporting (Business Objects, Tableau, MicroStrategy, Birst, etc.), performance tuning for large-scale computing clusters (Spark, Hadoop), OS (Linux, Windows Solaris), and languages (Java, Python, Scala, C++). Experience dealing with PB+ data sets.
- Familiarity with a range of data management, Business Intelligence approaches and the latest, tools, approaches, techniques, and methodologies in data and analytics development management.
- Deep understanding and appreciation for both business and technology components of information management in insurance and financial services industry.
- Excellent communication skills: Listening, verbal and written. Experience developing communications and presenting to senior management.
- Team-building, recruiting, and talent management skills are essential. Vendor management skills a plus.
- B.S./B.A. degree in Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or other technical fields. Higher level degree is strongly preferred.
Growing team. Currently 4 with a target of 8-12. Other Key Stakeholders :
IT Leaders in other verticals including: Infrastructure, Architecture, Delivery, Security. Also: Finance, Actuary, Investments, Marketing, Digital & Distribution Travel:
Up to 10%