Head of Data Quality and Governance
JobDescription : Context & Background:
S&P Global Ratings Division Data & Content is at a pivotal moment in its journey. As the Ratings Division business strategy evolves with a greater customer and growth focus, our data & content teams have a mandate for transformation to (1) lead end-to-end real time flow of our Ratings IP through the Ratings value chain, (2) modernize and upgrade processes, with a focus on deploying new technologies, (3) evolving our teams, talent and culture to enable and support a future-oriented mission statement to enable Ratings IP into the market in real-time. The Team:
The S&P Global Ratings Data Governance and Quality team sets the framework for delivering and monitoring quality day-to-day in adherence with our regulatory and policy guidelines through the Ratings organization and in coordination with our divisional partners. Your team will analyze and assess delivery for improving the quality of Ratings Data & Content to our analysts and customers through robust frameworks and project execution. In addition, under your guidance, the team will embark on an effort to automate quality assessments under our governance framework using new technological capabilities and will produce regular reporting on quality metrics for senior management. The team sits within our Operating Office, part of the broader Data & Content team and works in close partnership with many teams throughout the Data organization and cross-divisionally with DTI and other divisions. The Impact:
You will be the S&P Global Ratings Head of Data Governance and Quality Management Team, play a key role on the Head of Data & Content's leadership team, and serve as the primary owner for content and data governance and quality management enabling best in class data quality streamlined and automated data and content generation processes. You will lead the team that defines our governance framework and ensures data quality throughout the data and content value stream, leading a newly established program of data governance and data quality automation. You will act as a key liaison with In-Business Controls, Compliance and DTI, ensuring we are adhering to enterprise and regulatory standards for governance and quality. You will lead a transformation around the newly combined Data Governance and Quality Management Team, launching a program integrating our governance framework with a robust program of automation regarding quality. Projects will span the entirety of the data and content value chain enhancing customer satisfaction, and driving business results and growth through the timely and accurate delivery of fundamentals, ratings and reference data. You will have an opportunity to become the key stakeholder in driving execution of a Ratings-wide strategy around governance and quality of our data and content and integration of technology as an embedded part of our approach to applying risk frameworks; in so doing, you will enable S&P Global Ratings to remain an innovative leader in the financial markets and as a place that attracts talent who want to transform and modernize. Key Responsibilities: Role Model Transformational Leadership through Empowerment and Drive Change as Part of Data and Content Leadership Team
- Strong leader of people and change agent to guide transformation from a data and content organization to a high performing, customer-focused content organization functioning as one team.
Lead and Drive Data and Content Governance and Quality Strategy through Flexible Frameworks and Upstream, Automated Solutions Embedded in our Systems and Processes
- Act as member of the Data and Content Organization Leadership team, working closely with stakeholders across Ratings and the divisions, integrating Ratings into the S&P Global Data strategy, including use of best practices, capabilities and global frameworks
- Place people and culture first in all that we do, using Lean Leadership and Management tools, build an empowered culture and inspiring workplace evidenced through employee engagement surveys and talent-led SMART goal setting
- Oversee the data governance and quality strategy, providing support for, facilitating and coordinating data governance and quality activities completed by the Content and Content and Data Operations teams.
- Directly oversee the work of three Data Quality Managers overseeing a team of more than 25 assessing Ratings Data, Structured Finance Data, and C&G Data, as well as Governance staff
Build Strong and Effective Partnerships with Compliance, In-Business Controls, Analytical, SPGI Data, Technology, Innovation (DTI), Other SPGI Divisions (i.e. Kensho), and Ratings Technology
- Communicate the overall data governance and data quality vision and strategy to all levels of stakeholders in the organization and demonstrate the business value in Data Governance and Quality to all levels of the organization
- The Head of Data Governance and Quality will create and maintain a governance program that spans all of Ratings and creates an implementation framework which includes data and content, operations, Ratings Technology, In-Business controls, Compliance, Analytical and the overall DTI organization. In so doing, the Head will play the role of Chair for the Ratings Governance Council, which will be formed of representatives throughout the organization.
- Act as the main contact for questions regarding Ratings data for regulatory bodies, including the Securities and Exchange Commission and European Securities and Market Authority, including explanation of quality of vendor and affiliated feeds and operations processes for regulatory bodies
- You will be a required participant and lead governance voice in the Ratings Risk Governance Council and the Data Quality Review Committee
- Establish and monitor strategic execution, including establishment of guidelines and capabilities for defining and governing data including Ratings Data Catalog & select lineage tools
- Oversees the development of relevant and timely data quality metrics to control, analytic, and operational functions to demonstrate data under management is meeting the requirements of the business and regulatory bodies
- Establish and execute a quality improvement and accountability program to ensure all identified problems get systematically resolved, including through the use of automation to improve quality coverage
- Work with all content domains to establish road maps toward desired state of data governance and data quality maturity
- Identify and standardize the use and governance of information in support of the overall SPGI business strategy
- Produce data and content quality management reporting/metrics on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Chief Operating Officer and others informed of progress
- Document processes using standard tools and procedures and publish standard processes to ensure universal compliance
- Lead a program of automation for data quality, partnering with Data Enablement and Data Operations to install quality checks throughout the process utilizing upgraded data infrastructure and with Ratings Technology to incorporate DMS as part of Quality strategy
- Partner with data services to ensure data quality in non-traditional file stores, including the Integrated Data Facility, including for the ingestion and storage of unstructured data
- Partner with Technology to create and execute a plan for using DMS for quality management
- Engage, partner with, and guide relevant stakeholders including Analytical, Technology, Commercial and Cross-Divisional partners to assure guidelines are applied appropriately
- Partner with enterprise-wide data teams to align strategies & corresponding capabilities
- Coordinate with Data and Content Management and Data Operations to align defined goals within the data governance framework and data quality benchmarks and measure progress
- Partner with cross-divisional Data Governance teams to ensure a consistent, best in class governance framework and alignment across divisions (including mastering across SPGI).
- Drive communication and utilization of data best practices throughout the organization
- Strong experience in a range of leadership roles across Data, content, and/or product, including 5+ years leading a program of data governance or data quality with at least three staff
- Proven track record as a leader for developing high performing and strong execution teams, particularly in content-related domain
- Strong domain knowledge & content expertise within Credit Rating Agencies a significant plus
- Familiarity with business intelligence tools and governance and quality management software to enact
- Have effectively enacted and maintained a program of data governance and/or data quality in a complex organization
- Ability to quickly build credibility and relationships across multiple global teams
- Ability to work effectively across teams, foster collaboration, and navigate a complex organization with a high level of EQ
- Aptitude to communicate and deliver on multiple projects simultaneously, strong prioritization and organization skills
- Highly developed skills in influencing and navigating a complex, global organization to executive level
- Advanced communication skills. This includes the ability to simplify complex concepts and messages to the essential components and deliver these effectively to a wide range of audiences
- Advanced problem solving skills. Able to quickly identify and understand issues and drive towards effective resolution
- At least 5 years of data governance/quality experience, within financial services a plus
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, including significant team leadership & management
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree preferred
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.