Head of Product Strategy Engineering
Job Description As Head of Product Engineering, you will be the lead technologist for all applications and software components developed as part of new business initiatives within the Administration group. The technology portfolio of this team is comprised of early stage applications, microservices, bots, and automations which are (a) experimental in nature and (b) being "road tested" to determine if there is wider demand among our clients. The "emerging" aspect of these products is important. Many of the technologies and solutions are in a regular state of experimentation and refinement based on feedback from the market. In this role, you will help decide which technologies are most appropriate given the business problem to be solved. You will work with product leads to plan out the technical architecture of each solution, and then you will supervise the coding and testing work as the products are built out. (The coding and testing work could be done either internally with our own engineers or externally in partnership with app dev shops, boutique app design firms, etc.)
You will work as part of a team of "intrapreneurs" under the leadership of a Managing Director. We are a specialized group within Moody's Analytics who are responsible for pursuing new business opportunities, particularly in the realms of business information and alternative data. For any given product to be built, you will have responsibility for assembling your own team, which could include a mix of regular dedicated engineers, people on loan from other groups within Moody's, or people from external firms (e.g., app dev shops) who have strategic relationships with us.
During a typical new business opportunity, you will collaborate with business analysts and strategists to first understand the customer use case to be addressed. You will help identify potential solutions to our customers' needs, using your technical expertise to supplement the functional, financial, and operational expertise of other team members. Everyone will actively participate in the solution design process, but you and your team will have particular responsibility for any app dev work that may result. To the extent that solutions need to live on the cloud, you will help plan and execute those implementations with our cloud-hosting providers.
The position requires curiosity, intellectual versatility, and flexibility. This is not a routine job. Products, priorities, and day-to-day activities may change as we identify and refine business opportunities. The Head of Product Engineering should have strong understanding of established and emerging technologies and how they are applied. As a company operating at the forefront of data, analytics, and software, we are very open-minded about the best ways to address our customers' needs, and we are looking for smart, worldly people who can share new insights and ideas with us.
Qualified applicants should have prior experience managing product engineering efforts, particularly in the context of new product development. Start-up experience is very beneficial. Applicants should be comfortable working with uncertainty, collaborating with people inside the company and outside the company, and adapting to feedback, particularly around what customers want and expect. Qualified applicants should also be comfortable working in a close-knit, highly entrepreneurial environment. Over time, a successful Head of Product Engineering can move into more advanced roles within the overall engineering and product leadership of the company. Key Responsibilities:
As the person with ultimate responsibility for getting things built in our team: define and guide all product engineering work for the Administration group. This will involve planning day-to-day activities, managing resource deployment, and verifying the quality of the team's output. Specifically:
- Participate in discussions about new business opportunities, understanding and clarifying the technical implications (as well as the feasibility) of the ideas being discussed.
- Engage directly with customers and product managers to identify the technological and architectural requirements of any products to be built. Help identify and resolve trade-offs regarding technological options. Also help identify the longer term technical and operational implications resulting from each option (e.g., hardware requirements, deployment considerations, data management considerations, etc.)
- Oversee the creation of software specifications, architectural reference diagrams, and any similar artifacts that may be needed to explain what we are planning to build.
- Manage engineering resources (internally and externally) in delivering high quality outputs based on agreed requirements and specifications. Determine required engineering capacity, assign engineers to work, monitor productivity, ensure an appropriate chain of command for reviewing outputs, and take ultimate responsibility for ensuring products are built as agreed.
- Manage relationships with key suppliers of engineering tools and talent.
- Work with internal IT to ensure that all necessary environments, hardware, development tools, and so forth are properly provisioned to our engineers.
- Keep a watchful eye on trends in technology, deciding which are relevant and applicable to our various new business initiatives.
- Advise senior management on important trends and decisions related to technology.
- Liaise with other engineering and IT groups within Moody's Analytics to promote coordination and awareness. Ensure that our engineering outputs conform to enterprise standards for interoperability, security, single sign-on, etc.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a product engineering role, with at least 2-3 years in a senior position, preferably in a supervisory capacity where you directed other engineers.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with cloud-based apps.
- Experience working with agile/lean software development, with demonstrated understanding of agile-related concepts
- Experience translating customer requirements and product ideas into coherent product architectures.
- Master's degree or equivalent work experience and/or certifications .
- Proficiency across the full stack of modern software development, with particular emphasis on the data layer and the efficient handling of large volumes of data, both on the back end and the front end.
- Advanced knowledge of database systems and data management tools, with demonstrated knowledge of open source options plus either AWS-specific or Azure-specific options.
- Demonstrated commitment to keeping up with advances in technology, including tools, programming languages, standards, and techniques.
- Ability to plan, specify, and explain architectural components and technological solutions, taking customer requirements into account, along with financial objectives, business objectives, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding and thoughtfulness regarding how to select, manage, and motivate engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to pivot (adjust) a product engineering effort in response to better information about customer requirements, use cases, technological options and constraints, etc.
- Strong evidence of being self-disciplined, highly organized, able to multi-task, and attentive to detail.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to take on new assignments and projects as opportunities arise.
- Willingness to travel approximately 40% of the time, with necessary authorization for travel outside the United States if required.
- Full professional fluency in English.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, citizen status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Moody's also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about a reasonable accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For New York City positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the New York City Fair Chance Act. For all other applicants, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of applicable law.
Click here to view our full EEO policy statement. Click here for more information on your EEO rights under the law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.