Innovations - Data Engineer
Blackstone is one of the world's leading investment firms. We seek to create positive economic impact and long-term value for our investors, the companies we invest in, and the communities in which we work. We do this by using extraordinary people and flexible capital to help companies solve problems. Our asset management businesses, with $512 billion in assets under management, include investment vehicles focused on private equity, real estate, public debt and equity, non-investment grade credit, real assets and secondary funds, all on a global basis. Further information is available at www.blackstone.com. Follow Blackstone on Twitter @Blackstone.
Business Unit Overview:
Blackstone Innovations (BXi) is the technology team at the core of each of Blackstone's businesses and new growth initiatives. Serving both internal and external clients, we work to build the next generation of systems that manage risk, create efficiency and improve transparency within the firm and across our broad community of investors and portfolio companies.
BXi is nimble and entrepreneurial - our open, iterative design processes and rapid pace of development mean that everyone on the team has the opportunity to make an impact from day one. We are problem solvers who can take projects from idea to implementation. We believe in active mentoring and developing excellence. We collaborate to find the best answers for our customers and for Blackstone. We are critical to the firm maintaining its competitive edge.
Blackstone is looking to hire a passionate data engineer to be an integral member of the Data Science and Engineering Team within Innovations, the firm's technology team. We are a new and growing team using data science and data engineering to provide a competitive advantage to our investment professionals and management teams, allowing Blackstone to be a more efficient investor and owner of assets.
As a data engineer, you'll design, implement, and extend core systems that enable data science and data visualization at one of the world's leading investment firms. These systems include data lake, data warehouse, and data pipelines, as well as platform tools that help data scientists and data analysts throughout the firm and Blackstone's portfolio companies. The team also owns Blackstone's broad and growing self-service data visualization stack, including the design, development, and curation of golden-copy analytics data sources.
Our data infrastructure is nascent, growing, and constantly improving. We primarily use Python and SQL, AWS cloud services, Snowflake data warehouse, and Airflow for workflow orchestration. We visualize data with Tableau. Our development environment leverages Vagrant and Docker. We practice infrastructure-as-code with Terraform, and we build continuous integration and deployment pipelines with Gitlab and TeamCity.
- Full-stack design, development, and operation of core data stack including data lake, data warehouse, and data pipelines
- Build data flows for data acquisition, aggregation, and modeling, using both batch and streaming paradigms
- Consolidate/join datasets to create easily consumable, consistent, holistic information
- Design and implement machine learning models and prediction APIs, and ensure their operational performance over time
- Empower data scientists and data analysts to be as self-sufficient as possible by building core systems and developing reusable library code
- Support and optimize desktop and cloud environments for data scientists and data analysts
- Ensure efficiency, quality, resiliency of data science core systems
- Work with senior technical staff throughout Blackstone's portfolio companies to develop data flows
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a technical or scientific field, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or similar
- 2-5 years professional experience as a data engineer, software engineer, data analyst, data scientist, or related role
- Analytically-minded and detail-oriented: you actually like staring at data, looking for patterns and outliers, establishing data models, and rigorously answering questions
- Expertise in data engineering languages such as Python, Java, Scala, SQL.
- Data modeling and data governance experience; you've designed and implemented a data mart, a data warehouse, or the back-end database of an application
- Experience building ETL and data pipelines, especially via code-oriented systems like Spark, Airflow, Luigi, or similar, and with varied data formats
- Cloud-oriented but comfortable with on-premises infrastructure
- Experience operating in a secure networking environment (e.g. behind a corporate proxy) is a plus
- Creative problem-solving skills, especially in situations where "nobody has tried this before"
- Excellent technical documentation and writing skills: you know Markdown syntax cold, and have published API documentation or similar
- You're not satisfied with "close enough" solutions, and you design long-term solutions that are robust over time
- You have a bias towards automation: "one-time scripts" eat away at your soul a little bit each time you write one
- Proficiency in statistics and machine learning is a nice-to-have, and interest in learning these is even better!
- Familiarity with visualizing data with Tableau and similar tools
- Great customer service and technical troubleshooting skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other category protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete your application, please contact Human Resources at 212-583-5000 (US), +44 (0)20 7451 4000 (EMEA) or +852 3656 8600 (APAC).
The Blackstone Group and its affiliates provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital or partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic predisposition, veteran or military status, status as a victim of domestic violence, a sex offense or stalking, or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
To submit your application please complete the form below. Fields marked with a red asterisk * are required in order to enter into a possible employment contract (although some can be answered " prefer not to say "). Failure to provide this information may compromise the follow-up of your application. When you have finished click Submit
at the bottom of this form.