Senior Graphics Engineer - Visualization Team
Data Visualization is the window our clients use to explore, analyze and interact with the financial markets. It's an essential tool for innovation, insight, and creativity and is a key element of what makes Bloomberg the leader in business and financial data and analytics. Our clients need the ability to understand data quickly, and the visualization capabilities of the Bloomberg Terminal make that possible.
The Visualization team is responsible for the infrastructure and library APIs that allow us to build graphically rich applications for the Bloomberg Terminal and beyond. Our main product is the OVEN library, which is a web visualization framework written in TypeScript that renders visualizations on multiple platforms with the use of Canvas, SVG and WebGL.
We are seeking highly motivated engineers with backgrounds in graphics, data visualization and library API design to help realize the future of our data visualization platform. If you know the ins and outs of how pixels are rendered to a computer screen, if you love drawing scatter plots, bar charts, node graphs and other types of visualizations, if you believe there's nothing better than a well-designed, well-tested, well-documented software library, then this is the perfect team for you! We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Collaborate with fellow team members to make decisions about what functionality to include in our libraries
- Take ownership of the software from start to finish
- Use S.O.L.I.D. software principles to design and build the features
- Take a user-centered approach to understand how our software is utilized and adjust priorities where necessary
- Utilize your knowledge and skills as a computer scientist to build the most efficient, stable and scalable software possible
We'd love to see:
- 5+ years experience with graphics or data visualization APIs such as OpenGL/WebGL, HTML5 Canvas, SVG, Windows GDI, Quartz 2D, or similar
- Experience building software libraries used by other developers
- Working knowledge of version control systems like Git or SVN
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field with good knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience using Data Visualization libraries and APIs like D3, Highcharts, Matplotlib, ggplot2, etc.
- Experience with other computer programming languages such as C/C++ or Python
- Knowledge of web standards, in particular HTML and CSS
- Contributions to Open Source projects
- Good documentation skills
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.