Senior SQL DBA Engineer
Senior SQL DBA Engineer
Millennium Management LLC is a global hedge fund with more than 2,800 employees and offices in North America, Europe and Asia. We pursue a global multi-strategy approach to investing, seeking to achieve above-average risk-adjusted returns. Our global investment strategies include Relative Value Fundamental Equity, Statistical Arbitrage, Fixed Income, Merger Arbitrage, Futures/Currency, and Options among others.
The talent and dedication of our people are critical to our success. We offer an opportunity for developing one's professional career while working with individuals trained in a variety of disciplines in a collegial and dynamic environment. We also offer a broad range of competitive benefits on a global basis. Job Function Summary
The successful candidate must be a subject matter expert with hands-on experience supporting Microsoft SQL Server databases. This role will primarily focus on database engineering and administration for Microsoft SQL Server platforms. The role is expected to work closely with global DBAs on the team as well as various application development groups & business users in productionizing and optimizing of the SQL Server environment. The candidate will direct engineering activities and provide assistance in physical & logical database design, performance and tuning for the database platform. Hands-on experience and skill in SQL programming, Powershell scripting are necessary in understanding, automating, and maintaining database scripts and programs. Secondary responsibility is to provide US hour level 1 & 2 production coverage for other database platforms, like SYBASE, Oracle, MySQL, and Postgresql. Additional responsibility includes fulfillment of database requests and questions, troubleshooting and timely resolution of production and application performance issues. Principal Responsibilities Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration
Production support for other RDBMS Platforms - SYBASE, Oracle, MySQL, and Postgresql
- Engineering, installing, monitoring, and maintaining of Microsoft SQL Server software
- Implement monitoring and alerting solution, implement backup and recovery processes, provide system and SQL performance tuning and assist in business process integration with various data sources.
- Provide migration services to continuously move EOL databases to current standard (SQL Server 2016)
- Support of mission critical PM and IT applications with high availability solutions
- Fulfills and automates user requests ranging from installing, access control, backup, restore, and refresh of non-production database to extensive SQL performance tuning.
- Provides US hour online & on call coverage as backup production support of SYBASE, Oracle, mySQL, and Postgresql
- Fulfills user requests ranging from access control, backup, restore to basic trouble shooting per runbooks and automation tool.
- Has extensive Powershell & SQL programming skill and be able to develop dba applications for system automation and integration purpose.
- Has hands-on experience with Ansible, Chef, Python is a big plus.
- Minimum bachelor degree in computer science, or information technology, or other related field of study
- At least 7+ years of hands-on experience in Microsoft SQL Server Database Administration/ Engineering
- Has prior extensive working experience with Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Server 2016 and above)
- Demonstrates an in-depth knowledge and understanding of database internals and data structures
- Has hands-on experience with database design including modelling, code optimization and tuning
- Needs to be a good technical team leader who can mentor junior SQL Server DBA
- Needs to be a good player with a strong willingness to participate and help other database platform teams
- Has excellent communication and presentation skills, and excellent listening skills
- Has excellent phone presence, high degree of professional acumen
- Needs to be a quick learner, detail oriented with demonstrable thoroughness and strong ownership of works
- Able to prioritize in a fast moving, high pressure, constantly changing environment; High sense of urgency
- Has some working experience with Cloud, SYBASE, and other database platforms are big pluses
- Experience in Financial markets & familiarity with financial applications is a strong plus